Choking sound? orange squeezer project by tonepad

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
Hi guys, i just finished building my orange squeezer by tonepad. Made some mods for bass as stated on the tonepad site. I get clean sound as long as i dont increase the volume of my bass guitar. But when i do, the OS is choking.. I tried different amps cuz I thought the amp is the prob. But i still got the same problem..
It will ring and then it will just stop, and then it will sound again.. Like choking... Especially when i hit the hi notes, or when i slide from lo to hi note...
I was thinking about eliminating he bass mods and just stick to the original design...
Help guys...
Oh by the way i used 2n5486 instead of in5457(the original fet transistor on the schematic.)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There are slightly over 17.6 billion electronic components and devices in all of history. Are we supposed to guess which one is yours?
What is the device you are discussing? What is its function?
Link to the site with the instructions you were following?
Schematic?
Useful information?

ak

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
Im sorry guys.. My bad!
This is the Orange Squeezer compressor from tonepad.
For Q1,Q2, I used 2n5486 instead of the original 2n5457 due to availability.
And also i used in4148 for D1 as a substitute for in100/in34a.
And for the trimmer pot i used 100k pot(not a trimmer), ill replace it with 10k tomorrow.
Here is the schematic..
Screenshot_2015-12-09-19-57-49.png

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Changing the MOSFET changes the operating point, which changes the compression action. Changing the diode from germanium to silicon changes both the DC operating point and the threshold for compression action. All of this adds up to it's-not-a-surprise-that-the-circuit-sound-changed-and-is-not-behaving-well. This is a feedback compressor, so oscillation certainly is possible. First, get the right diode.

The basic function of this circuit is to take the guitar signal, cut it by about 20:1 or more, then amplify it by 23:1 to bring the volume back up. The 4558 is an old opamp part, developed years before true audio-grade opamps. It is a favorite of effects box designers specifically because of the distortion it introduces, so part of what you are hearing might be intended.

ak

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
Oh hey! I was able to eliminate the choking sound. I think the prob is the faulty opamp. I replaced the 4558 with tl072. And tadaan! choking eliminated!
Now i got a clean sound, but i feel like instead of a compressor, it has turned into a booster.. :(
When i reduce the sustain trimmer/pot to minimum, the volume level goes down. Wondering if this is how it really works.
I still coudnt get a in34a ge diode, so i used mtz series diode. I think its a zener.
The result is a very low freq signal/sound but its very clean, with no distortion.
Hope to get a in34a GE diode soon, hoping i could make it function like a real compressor like it should be.
0_o