Chickens

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The half a camel topic reminded me of this one:

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take a chicken to lay 6 eggs?

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
hmm...
chickens days eggs

(1.5) (1.5) (1.5)

or

3 (1.5) 3

now 1 chickens take 1.5 days for 1 eggs.

time for 6eggs=1.5*6=9

answer:9 days

probably,the problem was stated like this:3 chickens lay 3 eggs in 1.5 days.how many days does it take for a chicken to lay 6 eggs.
someone divided the 3 by 2 giving a PRACTICALLY impossible 1.5 chickens and 1.5 eggs

...i hope i have not goofed up...i tend to make too many mistakes...

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Thank you for the reminder. I need to pick up a chicken for tonight's dinner and some eggs for tomorrow morning's omelets.

Anyhoo... eggs per day for whole chicken = 1/1 = 1
...eggs per day for half chicken = .5/.5 = 1

...so a chicken can lay six eggs in half a dozen days if we leave it unmodified, or in three days if we cut it in half. Do they lop layers length-wise or across the mizzen?

Last farm I was on, the hens skipped every fifth or sixth day. They must have been union chickens.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take a chicken to lay 6 eggs?
Is this one of these where the catch is that half a chicken and half an egg cannot exist! :D

Seriously, is the answer that it will take forever... (half a chicken lays half an egg which produces half a chicken which lays half of half of an egg (a quarter of an egg) and so on...)

Dave

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
If I kill the half chicken and salt and burn it's corpse and bones (ZOMBIE) the remaining chicken will take six days to lay an egg.

And it will do so with full cooperation! Actung!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Only half a chicken can lay half an egg, so we see that the rate for whole chickens is one egg in 1 1/2 days.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the answer is obviously 9 days,
wait a sec egg what egg ,
wait a sec hen which hen...burp
(BTW i m pure vegitarian)
(no animal was harmed in the making of above post.)

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Hmmm... it seems to me it will take a whole chicken 1 day to lay one egg, so it takes 6 days to lay 6 eggs.

It also seems to me that it will take a half-chicken a half-day to lay half an egg, which means that it will take the half-chicken 6 days to lay six eggs.

The question is: how long will it take a (one) chicken to lay six eggs?

It appears to me that, regardless of which chicken, it will take either of them six days.

And, note, there will be 12 eggs total if both are laying at nominal capacity (Monday through Saturday, with Sunday's off -- Union rules). Besides, every rooster will have his day!

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
ppl with 6 days as answer do u not feel that if a chicken cud lay a egg in a day(only possible in this case) what did it do the rest of the half day the half chicken lay half an egg. perhaps it 'chickened' away.

kautilya

Joined Apr 26, 2007

1 chicken = 1 egg
0.5 chicken = 0.5 eggs. therefore, 1 chicken = 1 egg
1.5 eggs can be laid in 1.5 days.
1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1.5 days.
6 eggs will be alid in 4 days.

the answer is 4 days.

kautilya

Joined Apr 26, 2007
1 chicken = 1 egg
0.5 chicken = 0.5 eggs. therefore, 1 chicken = 1 egg
1.5 eggs can be laid in 1.5 days.
1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1.5 days.
6 eggs will be alid in 4 days.

the answer is 4 days.
I am sorry for the last one. a simple math error.

6 eggs will be laid in 9 days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Off-Topic 34