Chicken coop door

Brad Rustan

Joined Apr 17, 2016
i am trying to automate my chicken coop so if I'm not home the door will open and close on its own. It will be a 12v system. I have a linear actuator to operate the door. It has 2 wires and you reverse the polarity to change direction. I also have 2 timers to send power to the actuator at open and close times. What else do I need to have to wire it and how should I wire the circuit so I don't fry anything? Do I need a DPDT relay? Thanks for the help. I'm new and stumped.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You do need a DPDT relay (or you could build an electronic equivalent).
Does the actuator have internal limit switches? If not, you would need to get a couple.
Have you used the on-site search function to find the other threads here related to coop doors?
Welcome to AAC!

Brad Rustan

Joined Apr 17, 2016
You do need a DPDT relay (or you could build an electronic equivalent).
Does the actuator have internal limit switches? If not, you would need to get a couple.
Have you used the on-site search function to find the other threads here related to coop doors?
Welcome to AAC!

Brad Rustan

Joined Apr 17, 2016
Thanks. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Most of the posts don't really fit my application. I'm hoping this might work.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks ok,ideally you need end limit switches, what happens when the actuator gets to the end of travel and the power is still applied?