Checking my 3 channel color organ kit for faults - not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
On the subject of safety: Please note that touching any of the circuitry, including the wires to the pots can result in a potentially lethal electrical shock. It would be wise to never touch this assembly or anything electrically connected to this assembly while it is connected to AC.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think this comes under the class of power supply that is prohibited on this forum. I think in this case there is a very great risk of people trying to connect it to an external audio source which could well be grounded. In the best case it can blow the mains fuse in the worst case it will kill the person attempting to connect the items together.

Les.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
There is a white dot on one corner of the transformer but I don't see it represented in the drawing. He could try turning the transformer around without risk of (further) damage.

By the way, this circuit was intended to drive incandescent lamps. Other loads might not work at all or might work erratically.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
I was planning on putting inside a mini power strip with two outlets and 2 usb ports for the other electronics going into the enclosure. This would ensure that the plug does not get turned around as it wont be accessible.

But you are correct on the plug being a 2 prong un-polarized.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
There is a white dot on one corner of the transformer but I don't see it represented in the drawing. He could try turning the transformer around without risk of (further) damage.

By the way, this circuit was intended to drive incandescent lamps. Other loads might not work at all or might work erratically.
I have incandescent Christmas lights hooked up, and yet nothing happens. I suppose I could flip the transformer around, but now im nervous to even be touching this kit. I dont want to die...

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
On the subject of safety: Please note that touching any of the circuitry, including the wires to the pots can result in a potentially lethal electrical shock. It would be wise to never touch this assembly or anything electrically connected to this assembly while it is connected to AC.
So are you saying that when I plug this in, to not ever touch it?! How can I even interact with it as it was marketed to work...

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
I think this comes under the class of power supply that is prohibited on this forum. I think in this case there is a very great risk of people trying to connect it to an external audio source which could well be grounded. In the best case it can blow the mains fuse in the worst case it will kill the person attempting to connect the items together.

Les.
So are you saying this kit is basically junk and unsafe? Im wondering why the company continues to sell it... bummer!

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Is there a better setup for this to be safe? I have a second kit from another maker, same concept but only one Pot. It does have a fuse and power indicator.

Ideally id love to recreate with with some kind of arduino, microphone and LED's but cant find a tutorial where I am able to expand the lighting to the number I want.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yikes! The potentiometers have mains connections and metal shafts which could easily become live :eek:. At the very least you should use plastic knobs on those shafts and ensure no grub screws holding them on can be touched.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You and all readers should be aware that this circuit is unsafe and contravenes AAC code on electrical safety.

If you wish to pursue trouble-shooting this circuit, you need to do so with utmost care and with knowledgeable advice.

This thread will be locked in due course pending discussion with administration.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Im going to trash this kit per the advice I am receiving on this board. If anyone cmes across a greymark kit for a 3 channel color organ with microphone and 3 sensitivity controls, dont waste your money.

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

Also, would love to see some actual safe color organ schematics!

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Can i show on this thread the second color organ kit I am working on for safety or start a new thread? It actually does work.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Here is a second kit that I am working on. Same concept with a mic pickup, but only one Pot for sensitivity, although you an tweak the sensitivity of each channel. You can zoom in on the image to trace the paths. I'll get a schematic up later this evening.

One issue I am having on this, is that it seems that the lights are rather erratic, they do react to sound, but more often than not, theyre blinking relatively fast.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Note that this circuit also falls into the same league as direct to mains power supply.

Here are precautions you can take.

1. Don't make any changes to the circuit while it is still plugged into AC mains. Unplug completely.
2. Don't touch the circuit while the power is ON.
3. Don't ever plug another device such as audio input or Arduino to this circuit.

Further things you can do to minimize electrical shock:

1. Use a 1:1 isolation transformer.
2. Use a polarized AC plug. Connect the AC LINE input to the HOT side of the circuit (the connection with the fuse). Connect AC NEUTRAL input to the neutral side of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.