Vt= 10.9V - 0.9 V= 10 V

1. Vth= R2xVt/(R2+R1)

2. Vth= 600 x 10/600+400= 6000/1000= 6 V

3. Rth= R1+R2= 400+600= 1kohm

4. IL= Vth/RL+Rth= 6/1+1= 3mA

Attachments

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
From your drawing, I am not exactly sure where the load is looking into, so I’m going to assume that the load is R3.

Vth = V1 – V2 = 10V

And Vth = R1+ R2 = 1K

IL = Vth / (Rth + RL) = 10/ (1K + 1K) = 5 mA

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
Whoops, not supposed to answer the question. Let’s try this again.

From your drawing, I am not exactly sure where the load is looking into, so I’m going to assume that the load is R3.

Vth is the open circuit voltage, What is the voltage at R3 if R3 is removed from the circuit?

Rth is the output resistance, what is the resistance across R3 if R3 is removed and the voltage sources are shorted?

Determining the load current should be straightforward once the circuit is redrawn in Theveninequivalent form.

Ashenrise

Joined May 2, 2016
Whoops, not supposed to answer the question. Let’s try this again.

Vth is the open circuit voltage, What is the voltage at R3 if R3 is removed from the circuit?

Rth is the output resistance, what is the resistance across R3 if R3 is removed and the voltage sources are shorted?

Determining the load current should be straightforward once the circuit is redrawn in Theveninequivalent form.
I understand now, thanks so much, I used multisim to check it again and your answers were there, I don't know why I didn't get it the first time. Anyway, I appreciate the help greatly.