charging 12v dc battery with 24v dc charger.

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
hi , is it possible for me to charge a 12v dc battery with a 24v dv output ? will the battery burn ?

thank you .

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes, if you regulate the voltage down to the right amount.
If you just plug a 12 volt a battery into a 24 volt charger it will die in a matter of hours.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
well if you connect a 12V battery to a 24V source, something will definitely give out smoke and probably a bang too.
You can charge if you use a proper charging circuit that can handle that input and your battery type

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
is it a charger with only transformer and rectifier, or electronic charger? the transformer kind can be dropped in ouput by varying the input voltage, the electronic kind cant. I have ussed 12 volt chargers to charge 8 volt batteries by using a light dimmer in the ac input to vary the output.

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Have a 3kva ups . And one of the battery is spoiled . Thus i am thinking of using just one 12v battery instead of the buying another one . Used to have two 12v connected in series . Its those 200ah batteries that are super heavy and expensive.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Have a 3kva ups . And one of the battery is spoiled . Thus i am thinking of using just one 12v battery instead of the buying another one . Used to have two 12v connected in series . Its those 200ah batteries that are super heavy and expensive.
In theory that is ok, but you have to using the same type and same maker.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Yes, Scott is right. You might just as well buy 2 now as the other old one will soon die as they won't charge right.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
t00t,

I've heard that often the batteries in an enterprise's UPS are changed long before they wear out, and are resold at bargain prices. If you put a little effort in a little effort, you might be able to find a set with lots of life in them. I think one of our members, Max Headroom, actually know something about this.