Charger burned after adding LED

joachym

Joined Feb 21, 2022
Hi all,

I have just burned my charger (PLG 20 A1, 21,5 V, 2,5 A) after adding two LEDs parallel to existing ones - to be able to see them from different side. Same colors (red and green).

It worked fine for a few minutes and them something "popped" inside and it stopped working (entirely). Now, it's dead.

Nothing shortened.

Is there any obvious reason? Could the increased current possibly blow anything up?

Thank you in advance.

BR,
j.

joachym

Joined Feb 21, 2022
Hey guys,

Thanks for comments.

I verified that the fuse is ok and then found out that the mosfet (most probably - 8 legs, 4953 on it) has "a hole" in casing. It looks like it trully exploded...

From one extra LED???

Anyway, very valuable (and expansive) lesson :)

Thanks for your help.

BR,
j.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
LEDs need about 3.5V at max, and it sounds like you put them directly across a 21.5 V power supply. If so, that would explain it.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Maybe it's just bad luck and coincidence, or something got damaged in the process of modifying the charger. I wouldn't expect that paralleling LEDs would be a problem, other than that one might be dimmer than the other if the binning or chemistry isn't a match. But stuff just happens; once I was checking out an AC-powered digital counter module on the bench and a MOV chose that time to explode.