characteristic equation

gani

Joined May 15, 2005
Hi there,

let there be a transfer function G(s)= s+2/Ms^2+bs+K

the denominator is the characteristic equation and is equated to zero because ithe roots of this eqn describes the character of time response of the system.

Can someone tell me

Why?Why the denominator?

This may sound stupid but i am new to control systems.

Please do help me.

Thanx a lot!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by gani@Jul 6 2005, 11:09 AM
Please give me names of some books on control systems.please?????
[post=8932]Quoted post[/post]​
Gani,

I don't know if you are familiar with McGraw-Hill Schaum's Outline Series. I suggest you take a look at this book. The price is pretty reasonable (paperback form only) and the material it contains is very generalized. There are plenty of example problems with solutions present in the book so it is very useful in getting you up to speed on this very interesting topic.

The book is available at Amazon.com with a "Look Inside" feature so that you can see a few of the pages to give you an idea of what it contains.

Schaum's Outline of Feedback and Control Systems, Second Edition
By: Stubberud, Allen J. Williams, Ivan J. DiStefano, Joseph J.
ISBN: 0070170525
DOI:10.1036/0070170525
Pub. Date: 1994-10-01
Copyright: 1994
Product Line: McGraw-Hill McGraw-Hill
$16.95

9M-MBA

Joined Jul 6, 2005
Sorry gani, I left control systems more than three years back. While the it is fascinating I cannot say it was one of my favourite subjects.

9M-MBA

Joined Jul 6, 2005
Sorry gani, I left control systems more than three years back. While the it is fascinating I cannot say it was one of my favourite subjects.

gani

Joined May 15, 2005
Originally posted by 9M-MBA@Jul 6 2005, 09:25 PM
[post=8953]Quoted post[/post]​
Hey, No probs 9M!!!
Thanx for the concern.