change batteries when low

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I want to put a solar panel setup at a cabin off the grid and have a wifi hotspot and wireless security camera running off of solar charged batteries. My goal is to have the setup change over to the charged battery if the one it is currently running on gets to a low threshold and start charging. I just can't think of the logic I would need to make it work. Has anyone done something similar?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I want to put a solar panel setup at a cabin off the grid and have a wifi hotspot and wireless security camera running off of solar charged batteries. My goal is to have the setup change over to the charged battery if the one it is currently running on gets to a low threshold and start charging. I just can't think of the logic I would need to make it work. Has anyone done something similar?
Is it not possible to place the batteries in parallel, to effectively have one battery? It's less efficient to switch back and forth.

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Is it not possible to place the batteries in parallel, to effectively have one battery? It's less efficient to switch back and forth.
probably so I have thought about that as well. I didn't know if there was a way to balance or switch them..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
probably so I have thought about that as well. I didn't know if there was a way to balance or switch them..
If they are compatible voltage-wise (same chemistry) and otherwise similar, parallel is the way to go. They'll balance themselves just as the cells in a battery pack do.