Challenge-response spam filtering

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I have an Outlook.com email address that has never gotten any spam because I have been extremely careful about giving it out online and used disposable email addresses.

I have written some Python scripts that I would like to make publicly available online, and it is common practice for a programmer to include his/her email address in a docstring at the beginning of a script. If I would do this, my email address would be publicly visible.

So, what I would like to do is have an Outlook.com alias with challenge-response spam filtering. (I know this type of spam filtering has received a lot of criticism, but I'm not intending to use it for my main email address and believe this would be an appropriate case to use it.)

Creating an alias is easy, but I don't know how this type of spam filtering would be done for one, or if it is even possible to do it this way. Does anyone have any experience with this?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Now that I understand better how Outlook.com aliases work, I see that it's not possible to do exactly what I was thinking of.

However, I'd still like to have an email address with challenge-response spam filtering. Does anyone know of a free service that provides this?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
But it's not readily available for Windows:(
Yeah, bummer. Maybe you can ask your mail server guys to add it - mine ran it for a long while then stopped using it and spam is back. Haven't seen anything that works as well... Outlook filters are pretty useless..

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Are there any alternatives to challenge-response spam filtering that you would suggest to solve this problem, other than Bayesian filtering?
I have written some Python scripts that I would like to make publicly available online, and it is common practice for a programmer to include his/her email address in a docstring at the beginning of a script. If I would do this, my email address would be publicly visible.
I'd be interested to know what methods others have found to be most effective in dealing with spam.

Last edited: