Challenge! How do I build an Automatic Powder Dispenser? - DIY

cranberryjog

Joined Dec 28, 2014
I'm trying to build an automatic powder dispenser kind of like this one:

I was also told I could use the technology from a bullet reloader, but what components do they use in something like this? http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...nday-Gifts-for-Her/prod999901364248/cat121215

It's for small amounts of powder meant to be put in capsules for digesting.

The idea is to build it for no more than $100, I don't want to pay $2000 for the one above.

The other aspects of what I need from this dispenser: -need to be able to preload the amount in milligrams of how much weight in powder it would dispense -can put in multiple powders (separated)

It doesn't matter to me if it is a gravimetric dispenser or volumetric as long as it works and can be done relatively cheaply.

Anyone out there that can point me in the right direction? What components would I need?

Could I hack any other existing devices and reappropriate it for this?

Or better yet, if you think you are able to do a diy project like this and show me how I can replicate what you did, I'd even reward the first person with a practical plan that works.

There was a thread for something similar back in 2008 but noone ever seemed to actually find a way:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/homemade-powder-trickler-help-and-suggestions-plz.31327/

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How accurate does it need to be? The reloader you link to is only ±6.5 mg. Is the powder fluffy or granular? What actual weight do you need to dispense? How often do you need to do it? Would putting the female half of the capsules in a recessed board, dumping the powder on top, and scarping it off be accurate enough for you?

If it is just occasional, maybe a local formulating (aka compounding) pharmacy would do it for a fee.

John

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Is this to be fully automatic , manually operated , or somewhere in between?
A scratchey vision: Rotary indexed wheel perimeter drilled to hold capsules, two parallel plates with ofset holes , supply bin over first, bottom hole alligned with funnel. A shuttle fits snugley between plates with one hole sized to hold required sample. shuttle moves from supply to funnel dumping sample into capsule; wheel advances one position, shuttle retracts receiving new load, advances & dumps. Capsules capped & replaced with new bottom manually??

cranberryjog

Joined Dec 28, 2014
How accurate does it need to be? The reloader you link to is only ±6.5 mg. Is the powder fluffy or granular? What actual weight do you need to dispense? How often do you need to do it? Would putting the female half of the capsules in a recessed board, dumping the powder on top, and scarping it off be accurate enough for you?

If it is just occasional, maybe a local formulating (aka compounding) pharmacy would do it for a fee.

John
Sorry for the delay guys, have been going to war with an evil woman. No this is really for a machine that I'm wanting to build to dispense several vitamin powders. For health reasons it does need to be accurate to the nearest mg. I've found a youtube video that does something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9OAccaJdA but can anyone break down how he did it?

cranberryjog

Joined Dec 28, 2014
Is this to be fully automatic , manually operated , or somewhere in between?
A scratchey vision: Rotary indexed wheel perimeter drilled to hold capsules, two parallel plates with ofset holes , supply bin over first, bottom hole alligned with funnel. A shuttle fits snugley between plates with one hole sized to hold required sample. shuttle moves from supply to funnel dumping sample into capsule; wheel advances one position, shuttle retracts receiving new load, advances & dumps. Capsules capped & replaced with new bottom manually??
Somewhere in between.
Here's a more precise description:

I am interested in creating a device/dispenser which holds several different vitamin and mineral powders in seperate tubes and can dispense specific amounts (nearest mg) of each vitamin powder into a final base, ready to be put in a capsule.
The amounts in mg of powder, to be dispensed, will be pre programmed by the user with a keypad or mobile phone app or some other interface, then the device will automatically dispense that amount.
I would like to be able to build many of these devices myself.
I would like to find someone who can come up with a reasonably simple electronic design that can do what this device requires.
Important points:
-All the components of the design, must cost less than $100 total (when bought in bulk), or in other words, please try to cut costs with unnecessary parts.
-Must dispense reasonably accurately to the nearest mg of powder
-Must be as compact as possible. The tubes/containers which hold the vitamin powders can be as small as regular vitamin pill glasses like this one:
http://www.solgar.com/solgarproducts/vitamin-c-crystals.htm

Also here are some existing ideas that you may consider using or repurposing for this device:
Cookie Dispenser Machine
Powder Doser Pump.
Gun Powder Reloader

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Dispensing small amounts of multiple powders in exact amounts is quite difficult to do and to adequately control quality. For that and other reasons, drug/vitamin mixtures are usually compounded in larger amounts before dispensing. Since the amount of some components may be quite small compared to the total amount of powder dispensed (e.g., 0.1 mg of drug for several mg of powder), it is easier to provide quality control when the mixture is made in a larger batch that is then dispensed.

John

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I think you ought to have a specification for how fast this thing needs to move. The idea of that guy making cookies one ingredient at a time, for one cookie at a time, is pretty ludicrous.