Ceramic capacitor value

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Hi,

Would someone be able to help me with identifying the value of this ceramic capacitor (At least I believe it is a ceramic capacitor)

Capacitor info.png

Thanks

Moderators note : taken essential part from picture full size.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Thank you all for the comments and information. I am looking to replace this, I found a few online that're the P68Z10, but the number below is different, on the one I want to replace it is 1430, on the other it is 1121, can anybody help me out and verify the meaning of this bottom number?

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
It is most likely just a date code. Some manufacturers include drawings with details of markings in either the datasheet for a specific series or a more general document. Some don't. Date codes are often year and week of manufacture e.g. 1430 would be the 30th week of 2014.
[EDIT:] confirmed that Littelfuse uses YYWW date code on line below part number

There will be direct replacements from numerous manufacturers. Typically, if you know the voltage, everything else follows a function of physical size.

Last edited:

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Thank you EBP, I am curious, what would the symptoms of a bad MOV be? I have a circuit board for an antenna controller that controls some antenna motors, all I have done is moved around some MOVs to try and isolate my problem. I re-soldered my MOVs back on the circuit board but it seems I am now receiving an error on the device stating I am having a possible over-current condition...from what I have seen online I didn't think a bad MOV could be the cause of this.

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a circuit board for an antenna controller that controls some antenna motors, all I have done is moved around some MOVs to try and isolate my problem.
Why would you do that? MOVs protect from voltage surges.
I re-soldered my MOVs back on the circuit board but it seems I am now receiving an error on the device stating I am having a possible over-current condition...
Without seeing a schematic, it's difficult to offer any assistance.
from what I have seen online I didn't think a bad MOV could be the cause of this.
What MOV failure modes did you find?

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Well, without having a whole lot of bench work experience with MOVs I had an issue where my output voltage was intermittent while trying to move a motor. I have 4 connections to 2 motors, 2 are for 1 motor (left,right movement) the other 2 are for the other motors (up,down). Left and right would move without problem, up would always supply the 45V, when I would tell the unit to go down it would not supply 45V. I looked at the circuit board and the only thing I noticed were the MOVs were connected just before my pheonix block where the connections were made, it appeared the MOV that was connected to ground was not soldered on firmly, so I decided to take the 3 MOVs out, and move the up MOV to where the down MOV was to see if the issue would present itself when I would press up, after moving the 3 MOVs and re-soldering them back on I powered on the device, I would hit up and down and confirmed good voltage, right after doing so the alarm popped up, I looked in the manual and the alarm stated it is more than likely due to an over-current of the drive. I did purchase a few MOVs that will be coming in next week to see if a new set of MOVs would help but I was unsure if this could be causing the alarms, the only reason why I think it is, is because I didn't have the alarm prior to trying to "fix" the issue.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It would be helpful if you used paragraphs to organize your thoughts.

MOVs are used to suppress over voltage conditions. If there are no power problems, the MOVs won't affect circuit operation; unless they've failed short.

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Apologies for the format of my response.

The initial problem was power related, I tested the the voltage up until the MOVs, these were the last pieces of equipment in the circuit. My inital thought was that one was failed and was failing to pass through the 45V to the connection to my motor. After the quick swap and re-solder of these devices, I now have a possible over-current.

I plan on swapping these out with the replacement MOVs that are arriving on Monday in hopes that will fix my issue, it is very possible I caused issues with the existing MOVs during the move. I thought it was strange that I am having an over-current now, and was curious if all 3 MOVs are now failed if that could cause this. As this is fairly large circuit board I would have a difficult time providing a schematic, was just curious if anybody knew if the over-current could be a cause of failed MOVs.

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Apologies for the format of my response.
No apology needed. Some take offense at being told their posts are unnecessarily difficult to read and continue to post "walls of text". I tend to put members who don't take constructive criticism well on my ignore list.
The initial problem was power related, I tested the the voltage up until the MOVs, these were the last pieces of equipment in the circuit. My inital thought was that one was failed and was failing to pass through the 45V to the connection to my motor. After the quick swap and re-solder of these devices, I now have a possible over-current.
MOVs probably only have a couple dominate failure modes: short (where the failure will be obvious), and open (where failure might not be obvious).

When MOVs are hit with repeated over voltages, they can fail open and not show any outward signs of damage. The problem in this case is that they won't provide further protection.

If the over current condition is being caused by a MOV, you can confirm by removing the suspect device.

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Thank you, DL324 for all your help. I removed the MOVs and the issue was still present, after doing some continuity testing on the board I found 2 open MOSFETs on the board.

I believe this is the cause of my over current and will be ordering some replacements today.

jbarth200

Joined Feb 13, 2018
Well,

The MOSFETs fixed my over-current problem, but after replacing all MOSFETs and MOVs the initial issue was still present. Was able to trace it back to another board where the logic takes place (The board I was working on was just power drive) and was able to find a faulty Programmable Array Logic, as these are programmed at the factory I am being a sent a replacement PAL from the vendor.

Thanks for all the help everyone.