cell-phones

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
When a cell is charging... is the "full charge " function activated by voltage impressed on the batt, or the temperature it has achieved... or does that depend on the monster in question....

I ask, because my new LG flip-phone, with bottom-of-the-line 950 mAh L-ion battery, holds up better on shorter frequent charges of one or two hours...

I have run it flat several times, and let it charge overnight, tho' at that, it seems to die quickly with moderate texting... I use no other data...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
When a cell is charging... is the "full charge " function activated by voltage impressed on the batt, or the temperature it has achieved..
Generally speaking, the former --- The role of the temperature sensing circuitry/firmware is that of 'throttling' the charge rate to the end of preclusion of overheating and all the drama attendant thereto!:eek:

That said; some larger devices (i.e. 'notebooks' and certain power tools) are said to employ a 'hybrid' approach -- though I've not personally encountered same...

I ask, because my new LG flip-phone, with bottom-of-the-line 950 mAh L-ion battery, holds up better on shorter frequent charges of one or two hours...
Indeed the warmer the battery the less the 'electrical volume'...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Thanks HP... Your input makes perfect sense, given the L-ion tendency to overheat, and result in localized equipment damage, or more serious structure fires.
I find my little phone far more useful with the short-duration " boosts "
I am not a real fan of overnight charging... of any equipment...