CD ROM stepper Window Opener

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
Hi,
one of my favorites in electronics is playing with scrapped stuffs...
I have recently scrapped some CD ROM driver and grabbed linear stepper motors off the box...a sort of this kind:

cdr.jpeg

and I could run it with an arduino program snappy and without problem...I wondered the best usage of this part for me,designing an automatic window opener or window tilter for my room. somthing to open and close windows of a room or hall in specified timing schedule.
so, I'm looking for a good mechanical desing with 3D printer or even ready junction stuffs to put it into work.the angle of tilt for this operation dos't need to be more than 15-30 degrees.
maybe the hardest part is transforming a linear to circular movement,somthing like an idler rail or an idler joint coupled with a moving handle patch in complement,and doubt about max torque it'd be able to deliver by the way.
thanks for advice.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Take the pain to see what the stepper was displacing and you will have an idea of the little it could do vis-a-vis your intentions.

Working with one very similar right now, for an unusual application.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
actually my window is not one of that stiff joint or dampered one,it easily can move even by a wind blow.
by the way,the peoples around are used to equip gaseous heaters in winter,lots of people die beacuse of CO propagation,
and more, lose their brain cells for lack of O2.
so ,a cheap invention like this would save lots of lives and minds here.
regards

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
actually my window is not one of that stiff joint or dampered one,it easily can move even by a wind blow.
That's not very accurate way to describe wind strength. A motor from a CD ROM isn't going to have enough strength to get it moving. Forget it if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thhose linear steppers are avaible with a NEMA 17 or 23 motor. But the rest are correct, that little 'can' type motor isn't likely to work. Not only that it doesn't look like you saved the 'nut' that goes along the shaft as it turns.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Windows opener?? Probably use the Linux instead! :) Okay, bit more serious the window glass is not much lightweight, so the task is to apply the 10-20-40 kilograms of pure force depending on lever shoulder. I wonder if half-gram motor may exert it without of 1:10 000 sprocket divider, and even if to found it will take a day long to open or close the window. Judge own, what is the force the CD is pulled in or out.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think people are misconstruing what the TS is trying to do. He mentioned tilting and the angle of the window. I imagine a window that tilts out from the bottom. This would require much less force than lifting a sliding window. The motor might still be inadequate, but not as obviously as ridiculous as everyone seems to think.

Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With proper reduction gear you can do it.
A small low power motor prefers to be spinning fast. So you want to spin a screw thread.
Use a worm gear followed by more gears to reduce the speed. This gives more torque.

Did you know that you can print your own gears on a 3D printer?

1588259560601.png

1588259640637.png