CC and CV mode implementation

Ravenghost

Joined Mar 17, 2016
I'm working on a project where i need to charge multiple li-ion cells. I'm thinking of buck converter circuit powered by ac-dc 24V 1A wall adapter and controlled by Atmega328P MC PWM. I've covered theory behind li-ion battery charging, buck converters, PWM. I believe constant voltage mode implementation is quite straight forward. A simple voltage divider to get feedback voltage to ADC and Rsense resistor with current sense amp to ADC adjusting PWM duty cycle to keep stable voltage while checking current drop to 10% to cut off power(correct me if i'm wrong about this). But i'm unsure how to approach constant current mode.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm working on a project where i need to charge multiple li-ion cells. I'm thinking of buck converter circuit powered by ac-dc 24V 1A wall adapter and controlled by Atmega328P MC PWM. I've covered theory behind li-ion battery charging, buck converters, PWM. I believe constant voltage mode implementation is quite straight forward. A simple voltage divider to get feedback voltage to ADC and Rsense resistor with current sense amp to ADC adjusting PWM duty cycle to keep stable voltage while checking current drop to 10% to cut off power(correct me if i'm wrong about this). But i'm unsure how to approach constant current mode.
You can use the same Rsense resistor to limit the current during the initial charge

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
You limit the current the same way you limit the voltage, only you get your sense from a resistor. "OR" the current control to the voltage control.