Case Mounted Connector: Recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by William Cole, Aug 27, 2017.

  1. William Cole

    Thread Starter New Member

    Aug 27, 2017
    Building an alarm system. The motion detector is to be mounted in a small plastic case [3/4" x 1 7/8 x 1 3/8] for which I need to find an appropriate case-mounted connector for the 4-wire cable that connects the motion detector to the alarm system unit. I spent some time with the Newark catalog, but frankly there were too many connectors and I don't have enough experience to know what the right choice would be. Would prefer not to use an audio jack connector, mostly because of size. Would be grateful for advice.

    Thanks very much indeed.
    Bill Cole
  2. Dodgydave

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jun 22, 2012
  3. KMoffett

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 19, 2007
    Is the motion detector to be used outside? Do you want the connector to be on the 3/4" side of the case? How much space inside the case do you have for the back of a connector?

  4. Reloadron

    Distinguished Member

    Jan 15, 2015
    Sounds like you are looking for a "bulkhead connector" with a mating connector. The motion detector connector (plastic box) would likely be male with a mating female connector. You also need to consider weather proof for outdoor applications. As to the actual connector? There are literally dozens of them out there to choose from once you know the sex, NEMA rating (weather proof) and the current handling for the pins. I realise you won't have any current to speak of but it comes down to pin size. I would start with a Google of "bulkhead connector electrical" and work from there.

  5. mcgyvr

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 15, 2009
    You need to list all the requirements/needs this interface/connector needs to have.. That should help narrow it down..
    Right now we don't know anything about your needs so we still have a HUGE list to choose from..
    Waterproof? water resistant?
    screw terminals?
    board/pc mount?
    voltage levels?
    current levels?
    and on and on and on..

    could be as simple as discrete screw terminals to amp MTA connectors to circular connectors to dsub connectors,etc...

    If this is a "DIY" project many people might just choose to use an RJ45 or similar connector (RJ11,etc..).. But I probably would not use that for a professional product as someone would think its for ethernet and try to plug into it for networking..
  6. MrChips


    Oct 2, 2009
  7. William Cole

    Thread Starter New Member

    Aug 27, 2017
    Thanks everyone for your replies; you've narrowed options down very helpfully and am so appreciative. Had no idea that choosing the right connector would be so difficult - fools rush in where angles fear to tread.

    The PIR unit will be mounted indoors so don't have to worry about the elements.

    Regards, Bill Cole
  8. KMoffett

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 19, 2007
  9. GopherT

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 23, 2012

    A pair of RCA jacks gives you four wires and everyone has some old RCA cables laying around that you can splice in. You can pull the rca jacks from any old device you find at a Goodwill store.