Carcinogen possibility in electrical cable!

HotFurnace

Joined Mar 31, 2018
It recently came to my attention that some brand new electrical cable have very sweat odor, even after days outdoor, specifically CADIVI wire (a cable marker very popular in Vietnam) and some unnamed VGA cable from China. These cable stated that they are made of PVC, which point out the possible reason behind the smell was vinyl cloride. Maybe the insulation layer was manufactured in the same factory as the copper wire to save cost, and then they fused the newly made PVC onto the copper. What might happen is that the company was rushing to meet the quota, and they shortened the polymerization time so the plastic might came out of the machine still have some vinyl cloride trapped inside it. As the temperature of the day fluctuate, the gas slowly escape the cable.

Any chemical expert, please review the situation and tell me if there might be any vinyl cloride? If not then is great chance that the chemical causing the smell is carcinogenic? Have anyone here ever smell the cable?

I didn't know about the issue because I always purchase very small quantity of cable, at most only 10m, and the vendor have stored the cable for long time. But today I purchased 100m of them, in brand new roll, and then put it in a wooden box in dry and cold environment for two days, after that I opened the box and there came the smell. I take the cable outdoor for the next 2 days, then put it into a new wooden box, and the smell is still there after having left it for another day.

I'm extremely worried about this issue, please offer any help as you know!

HotFurnace

Joined Mar 31, 2018

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In California EVEYTHING causes cancer, but in the sane portion of the world it does not. Just because it has a smell does not mean that it is a danger material. And if you have a concern, always wash your hands after handling the wire, and never eat any of it. And do not allow children to play with, or touch it.