Carbon Fiber Wire for Heat

mfult0n

Joined Jan 1, 2018
If I wanted to heat (40-50 degrees F) roughly 200 ft of the wire I have provided in a link below, how would I do so? Could I cut the end of an extension cord and splice one end of the carbon fiber cable to the hot and the other end of this carbon fiber cable to the neutral and then just plug it in to a standard 120v outlet, or would I need to add any resistors?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable...online&wl12=147396517&wl13=&veh=sem#read-more

I'm expecting to get "how dumb could you be" responses and that's OK. I just want some answers.

Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Without more specifications, I think that would be a very bad idea. I couldn't find any specs in a quick search. That's the problem with buying cheap stuff out of China. There's no way to know what current it might draw and how hot it might get without regulation.

I think, but aren't sure, that these wires are meant for direct AC power and will deliver some number of watts per meter. The shorter you cut it, the lower the resistance and the higher the current and power. The temperature developed will depend on the system and could get very high anywhere the wire is thermally insulated from the surroundings. It would be prudent to use a controller (a thermostat) rather than merely plugging it in at full power.

mfult0n

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Without more specifications, I think that would be a very bad idea. I couldn't find any specs in a quick search. That's the problem with buying cheap stuff out of China. There's no way to know what current it might draw and how hot it might get without regulation.

I think, but aren't sure, that these wires are meant for direct AC power and will deliver some number of watts per meter. The shorter you cut it, the lower the resistance and the higher the current and power. The temperature developed will depend on the system and could get very high anywhere the wire is thermally insulated from the surroundings. It would be prudent to use a controller (a thermostat) rather than merely plugging it in at full power.

Any recommendations for a thermostat controller for this application.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The wire is similar to what they put in radiant flooring. I'd look for suppliers in that area and see what's used. It may also be similar to the wire they sell for preventing ice on roofs.

billyray

Joined Oct 24, 2020
If I wanted to heat (40-50 degrees F) roughly 200 ft of the wire I have provided in a link below, how would I do so? Could I cut the end of an extension cord and splice one end of the carbon fiber cable to the hot and the other end of this carbon fiber cable to the neutral and then just plug it in to a standard 120v outlet, or would I need to add any resistors?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable...online&wl12=147396517&wl13=&veh=sem#read-more

I'm expecting to get "how dumb could you be" responses and that's OK. I just want some answers.

Thanks
I am going to try the same thing. (I want to heat soil around my tomato plants) I have 20 meters of 12k carbon fiber wire. I plan to plug directly into 110v outlet. From what I can figure this should work. In my case I don't expect the 20 meter wire to get very warm. Here are some calculations:

P=V^2/R
R=33ohm/m
P=110x110 / 33x20
P=12,100/660
P= 18.33 watts per 20 meters or .92 watts/meter

If I cut my carbon fiber wire into 4 pieces of about 5m each, I should get better heat output for my purposes:

P=12,100/5x33
P=12,100/165
P=73.33 watts per 5 meters or 14.66watts/meter

Safe use of power: < 18 watts/m

billyray

Joined Oct 24, 2020
I am going to try the same thing. (I want to heat soil around my tomato plants) I have 20 meters of 12k carbon fiber wire. I plan to plug directly into 110v outlet. From what I can figure this should work. In my case I don't expect the 20 meter wire to get very warm. Here are some calculations:

P=V^2/R
R=33ohm/m
P=110x110 / 33x20
P=12,100/660
P= 18.33 watts per 20 meters or .92 watts/meter

If I cut my carbon fiber wire into 4 pieces of about 5m each, I should get better heat output for my purposes:

P=12,100/5x33
P=12,100/165
P=73.33 watts per 5 meters or 14.66watts/meter

Safe use of power: < 18 watts/m
Just a follow up. After splicing copper wire to the carbon fiber wire, I plugged into a 110 volt outlet and monitored the temperature. This was 20 meters of wire all in a bundle. Over a period of over 4 hours the temperature went go 255 degrees F.
carbonfiberwire.jpg
I decided not to break up the 20 meter wire into shorter segments, and used the single 20 meter piece of wire to wrap around my tomato plants. I planted each plant in a #10 size metal can with the wire being wrapped 4 to 8 times around each can. I planted over 6 weeks before memorial day (which is supposed to be the frost free date here in Colorado). Will see if this helps my tomatoes have a longer growing season.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Just make sure the heating equipment + the electric bill stays much lower than the price of buying the greenhouse-grown tomatoes at the supermarket...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just make sure the heating equipment + the electric bill stays much lower than the price of buying the greenhouse-grown tomatoes at the supermarket...
LOL, way to ruin it! Any gardener can tell you that it isn't worth it, if saving money is your goal. It may be cheaper than a having a boat but not much.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
What are you using to keep from being accidentally electrocuted if you come in contact with the wiring? I consider this to be an important question -you only get one "oops!" and the game is over.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What are you using to keep from being accidentally electrocuted if you come in contact with the wiring? I consider this to be an important question -you only get one "oops!" and the game is over.
I just installed some heater wire on my roof to prevent ice damming. It was the worst ever this last winter and I suppose it'll be years before I find out if it works.

But anyway that wire is well insulated and I assume that's similar to what the TS has. I think he's going to overheat and kill his plants, but maybe not. My wire is 5W per foot. If there's only 5-10W wrapped around the plant pot, maybe it won't get cooked. Of course the leaves are unprotected.

billyray

Joined Oct 24, 2020
I checked the temperature of the soil (about 6 inches deep) 18 inches away from the tomato plant- it measured 43 degrees F. I then tested it near the plant container and it read 50 degrees F. I am only heating 5 tomato plants, and I plan to set a timer so it only provides heat during the coldest part of the evening hours. Hopefully, this will keep the electric costs down. Also, I don't plan to have it on during the warm months.