Car audio, what's in your ride?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Wow, pretty impressive. Last time I did a car audio project I was in highschool ('03). The audio/electronic portion wasn't nearly as cool as yours, but it was more "pimp my ride" flavor (before "pimp my ride" was a thing). My pickup had the "work truck" vinyl flooring and I installed carpet in it. I built a custom center console between the bucket seats and used the leftover carpet to cover the center console. The console had leather arm rests, and the CD player/EQ was inside under a hidden door. below that was the amp. I left the factory head unit in the dash to dissuade break-ins. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, as I don't think it was yet common for one to photo-document everything that they do.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I try to photo-doc just about every project, its a habit I picked up long ago. First, so I can remember what I did a few years later, second to help others and mostly because it's a cool thing to do. I'd like to do a upgrade but that years Kenwood was the last year they had 24/96 DVD-Audio 5.1 in a car unit. I love the sound and have a collection of priceless (to me) music for it. I'm guessing my next car project will be a Android replacement for it if I can find a plugin or app to play DVD-A iso files.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I try to photo-doc just about every project, its a habit I picked up long ago. First, so I can remember what I did a few years later, second to help others and mostly because it's a cool thing to do.
oh of course! I do it all the time, too, now. But 12 years ago, pictures costed money, and I didn't have any. ...well, I had some, but apparently it was better spent on undocumented automotive mods.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
My car audio upgrade is pretty old but maybe we could start a general car audio thread about installs, systems and modifications.
OEM to Kenwood:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/sets/72157623142084178
Sub and speaker EQ:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/sets/72157621840211633
I had an Amstrad radio cassette - but the Reliant van I put it in didn't have much in the way of bulkhead between the dashboard and engine bay.

One of several engines threw up all over it - it got put on a shelf in the shed intending that I would open it up and degrease it someday, but I had to de-clutter and it wasn't one of the things I bothered to rescue before the scrap man came.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I use to build custom systems and right now I have a OEM speakers with a Sony Headunit .. I am looking to upgrade my wife's Ford Escape speakers cause someone installed a JVC unit and now only the passenger side speakers work..