Capacitors, Inductors and Transient Circuits

Alustriel

Joined Apr 1, 2009
We're just entered this part of the book in our electric course. The thing is, I've read through the whole text book and even the information on this website and I still don't understand a thing. :( Here are some of the easier examples from the book, I hope you guys can guide me along the way as I try to master capacitance, inductance and transient circuits. :)

*Solved* Will be updating with other questions soon, stay tuned :D

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Q1 1.67 mF is right

Q2 Remember 1/Z=1/R+1/(jωL)+jωC so for Z to be real the terms in 'j' must vanish or reduce to zero.

Q3 The total stored energy at steady state = Inductor energy + Capacitor energy. At steady state the source current will divide between R1 & R2 and C will have charged to its final value. The voltage across R1 (and / or R1 || R2) at steady state will equal the capacitor voltage. For the purposes of analysis at steady state consider C as an open circuit and L as short circuit.

Q4 Before t=0 the inductor will be "charged" with a certain current. When the switch opens the current can only flow around the L || R1 loop. That loop will decide the time constant after t=0.