Capacitor for A/C Motor

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
I am seeking assistance with my capacitor start AC motor.

Does "capacitor start" mean I need to add an external capacitor in the circuit?

If yes, what specs do I need to search for in a capacitor?

How do you calculate the capacitor needed?

Where do the two leads from the cap get connected? Between the two hot leads? Between the hot and ground?

Motor:

1HP, POWR KRAFT, 1725RPM, AC Capacitor Start Motor, Ball Bearing, 60 Cycle, 1 Phase, 40 degree rise,

Capable of 115V @ 14Amp, but wired fro 230V @ 7Amps.

Use: Old wood planer.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using it on 230v I would Estimate around 150μf for that motor, use a motor start capacitor rated type.
You would need to get to the terminals and identify the two windings. The higher resistance one will be the start winding.
Max.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The capacitor is usually attached to the motor itself. Is there a half round container attached to the other side of the motor?

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
If using it on 230v I would Estimate around 150μf for that motor, use a motor start capacitor rated type.
You would need to get to the terminals and identify the two windings. The higher resistance one will be the start winding.
Max.
Thanks Max. Once I identify the higher resistance winding (Start winding) are the two ends of the start winding the points of connection for the start capacitor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The capacitor is in series with the start winding, you should have a centrifugal switch on the motor that you can here a click when it operates.
One way is to identify the run winding and apply power to it at the same time spin the shaft as fast as possible in any direction and it should go into run.
When the power is removed, you can here the switch click over about 1/3 of the rated rpm.
If it should not be fitted with a switch, normally a external current sense relay is used.
Max.