Can't get this motor driver working

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased the following motor driver:

http://www.greenwichinst.co.uk/GSM2.html

I am using it to drive the following motor (35DBM10B2U-L):

http://www.portescap.com/products/c...ors/35dbm-l-can-stack-stepper-linear-actuator

I have tried connecting it up but it doesn't seem to want to work. I have contacted the manufacturer but they said they don't have a technical support department so are unable to help me.

I wanted to connect just the minimum basic connections to get it running from a power supply initially. From the I/O diagram below, do I just connect the CKO to the CKI to use as a clock, connect the 4 phases to the motor, connect the power suply ground to the 0VM terminal and connect the positive terminal of the power supply to the two positive wries on the motor and the +VM terminal of the motor driver? Is 9V sufficient? And is connecting an external resistor in my circuit necessary? I just want to do the minimum basics initially to get the motor moving so anything non-essential I would prefer to leave until I have the motor at least doing something.

upload_2016-1-11_9-40-22.png

The following are the technical specifications of the motor:

upload_2016-1-11_10-0-0.png

Here is the motor diagram and step sequence:

upload_2016-1-11_10-33-35.png

If anyone can offer some advice or trouble shooting tips or recommendations it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
UPDATE: I have tried disconnecting the motor and just connecting the 12V and GND terminals and connected an oscilloscope to the CKO terminal and there is no clock signal coming from the board. I think if I can even just get a clock signal from the board to start with it would be a good starting point. All I have connected is 12V power supply to +VM on the motor controller, 0V on the power supply to 0VM and the ground of the oscilloscope, and the CKO connected to CKI and to the positive terminal of the oscilloscope. Nothing is happening.

tsan

Joined Sep 6, 2014
If adjusting of cko trim pot does not help you can give rising pulses yourself. Even one pulse is noticiable if motor shaft turns. 9 volt is enough for the driver. No need for external resistor. It is used if supply voltage is higher than motor rated voltage.