cant get pickit2 to "see" pic chip

flabbergasted

Joined Mar 31, 2011
-pic16f877, have to of them and same problem for both.
-ebay bought pickit2, not the original kind.
http://cgi.ebay.com/360171992841
thats the exact kit I have.

Vpp -> pin1
Vcc -> pin2
gnd -> pin3
pgd -> pin4
pgm -> pin5

when I load up the pickit2 programmer, select my chip (16f877) and attempt to read I get "No device detected"

I have an rj45 cable connecting my pickit2 to my programming module and Vpp goes to Vpp, Vcc goes to Vcc etc etc so I dont think I have a reverse connection in that regard, like having a crossover cable or something.

am in fact getting +5 volts on Vcc when enabled.

HELP!!!

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Sorry, I can't help you. But I wondered why you bought that unit when you can buy a real PICkit 2 from Microchip's site for less money. They work right out of the box.

I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, but I was just curious what this unit offers that the other doesn't. Is it an older model or is it sold by someone not associated with Microchip? If so, then they may be in for some legal action because they're treading on a trademark.

flabbergasted

Joined Mar 31, 2011
I thought pickit2 is open source, as in anyone can make and sell them now since pickit3 is the new version.

Also thought they were completely discontinued but I guess I thought wrong. pickit2s were going for twice as much when I was shopping around on ebay...
derp.

I hope I dont have a faulty unit!!!!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I thought pickit2 is open source, as in anyone can make and sell them now since pickit3 is the new version.

Also thought they were completely discontinued but I guess I thought wrong. pickit2s were going for twice as much when I was shopping around on ebay...
derp.

I hope I dont have a faulty unit!!!!
You could have easily bought a PicKit2 for that price. For about $3 more you could have bought a PickKit 3. (Though you did get a nice zif socket too). But the 3 and the 2 should support a bunch more chips. The 3 supports a bit more than the 2.

I'd see if the seller will take it back and just purchase the PicKit3. Even if they don't take it back, it is not worth the hassle for $40. And you will have that zif socket. :)

Is that the only chip that you have? Maybe it is just a bad chip?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Good point. I would say ohm everything out to make sure Vpp,Vcc,gnd,pgd,pgm are al connected where you think they should be but that none standard connector is going to make that difficult unless you have the pinout to the connector.

Plus it looks like you are stuck with that ziff socket board to program anything. Looks to me like you won't be able to do in circuit debugging and programming unless it comes with an adapter or you build one. Or you place the same non standard connector on your board.

Barnaby Walters

Joined Mar 2, 2011
Hi there,

I too am using a PICKIT2 clone, but mine is made by Sure electronics. Like you, I bought mine because it was the same price as a standard one, but came with a universal ZIF socket. Looks like you need to refer to the datasheet and make sure that +V, Gnd, Vpp, PGM and PGC are all connected to the right pins on the zif socket. For the 16F877, it should be like this:

Vpp -> Pin 1
PGD -> Pin 40
PGC -> Pin 39

Dual power supply: Make sure:
+V -> 11 and 32
Gnd -> 31 and 12

Also, are you pulling PGM (Pin 36) low during programming? Officially it shouldn't make any difference, but in practise it can. Tie it to gnd with a 100k resistor.

Hope that helps, good luck. If it doesn't — send the programmer back and get a PICKIT 2 or 3 starter kit. This will get you programming right away, with LEDs, a button and a pot, + prototype space. If you want to expand, you can always use your ZIF socket! But make sure you know what's going on first.

Thanks,
Barnaby

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It just to cut of one of the RJ connectors and solder on what ever you want. The ZIF is realy not needed with an ICSP programmer

Whilst it's true that you don't really need a ZIF if you're using an ICSP programmer, I find it's useful to have one. I am a complete newbie to MCUs, and sometimes I get funny errors that are always fixed when I program a chip in a ZIF. This is because of my faulty equipment or lack of experience. But it can be reassuring to be able to pull the chip out and program it correctly.

My advice? Rip apart/buy a connector to rip apart, but make it so you can still plug it into a ZIF socket.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
A trick I used before then I used PIC start plus. Was to socket the PIC MCU I was using always. Then I needed to take it in and out of circuit. I always handled the socket. Not the PIC it self. If any mechanical damage it was to socket not to the MCU