Can you use super glue instead of solder or hot glue to connect a 3v battery to small LEDs?

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
Hello everyone.

I made a light that runs of a 3v coin battery with 12 very small fairy lights. I was soldering the lights, but the heat damages the LEDs, so I was just wondering, is it safe and possible to use super glue just to keep the lights in place. I don't want to use hot glue, but any thing like superglue would be perfect. Can I use it and most important would it be safe?

Thank you.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
We all solder all kinds of parts without damaging them. You need to learn better soldering technique.

Edit: what kind of soldering iron are you using? It should be no more than 30 Watts.

Bob

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
Hello everyone.

I made a light that runs of a 3v coin battery with 12 very small fairy lights. I was soldering the lights, but the heat damages the LEDs, so I was just wondering, is it safe and possible to use super glue just to keep the lights in place. I don't want to use hot glue, but any thing like superglue would be perfect. Can I use it and most important would it be safe?

Thank you.
the connection is not bad. I wrapped it around the copper and it works perfectly. I just need to keep it in place.

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
We all solder all kinds of parts without damaging them. You need to learn better soldering technique.

Edit: what kind of soldering iron are you using? It should be no more than 30 Watts.

Bob
It is 60 watts. The LEDs do not handle the heat. I have tried absorbing or directing the heat with pliers and clips but no luck.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It is a circular peace of copper with a diameter of about 80mm.
In the absence of more information I surmise that the copper ring is acting as a heat sink requiring extreme heating to get the solder to wet.

Are you using flux? Are you tinning the connection point before soldering the component to it? Are you using a heatsink on the component lead?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Just for the record, CA glue (superglue) is not conducting and will not work. While there are conductive adhesives, they are not good conductors and make a high resistance connection.

Soldering is the right way, and it can be done if you use the proper techniques and materials, including low melting point solder like 63/37 eutectic alloy.

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
Yes, to all three. The problem is that the lights are on very small wires that then connect to what looks like a very small surface mount LED, and are then dipped in a epoxy resin. The LEDs not only struggle with the heat but also the small wires fall of the epoxy because of the heat.

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
Just for the record, CA glue (superglue) is not conducting and will not work. While there are conductive adhesives, they are not good conductors and make a high resistance connection.

Soldering is the right way, and it can be done if you use the proper techniques and materials, including low melting point solder like 63/37 eutectic alloy.
I can get the lights to work with out needing to solder. I just need to know if I use super glue would it be safe.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
1) that will be rather uncomfortable job to keep steady contacts multiple hours long until them be dried.
2) the current leading glue yet principially exist (gallium or silver/gold)), is something dramatically expensive
3) why to substitute the fast, cheap low-tech process with expensive, slow and uneffective??

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have never used it for this purpose before. I just wanted to know from others that might have had the experience if it was safe, because I do not.
The voltage at which you are operating makes whatever you do safe, that's why I asked what you though might be unsafe. if you are using the CA glue for electrical connections, though, I expect it not to be reliable.

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
The voltage at which you are operating makes whatever you do safe, that's why I asked what you though might be unsafe. if you are using the CA glue for electrical connections, though, I expect it not to be reliable.
Thank you very much. Would you suggest or know of any epoxy or glue that would be reliable?

James90s

Joined Mar 3, 2021
1) that will be rather uncomfortable job to keep steady contacts multiple hours long until them be dried.
2) the current leading glue yet principially exist (gallium or silver/gold)), is something dramatically expensive
3) why to substitute the fast, cheap low-tech process with expensive, slow and uneffective??
It is just to keep it in place. The lights work perfectly. All I need to do is keep them in place without using any soldering, but rather a glue, epoxy, etc.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you very much. Would you suggest or know of any epoxy or glue that would be reliable?
You can use a gap filling CA glue but I would use an accelerator.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MITREAPEL-Super-Spray-Adhesive-Activator/dp/B07Y6GM45Y/

I would suggest careful cleaning of the surface with a solvent, as well as practicing a bit to be sure you know how much to apply. Keep the excess glue in a tightly sealed, small zip lock bag to extend shelf life.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is a new UV cured epoxy named Bondic. Check if it is available in your country.
UV cured adhesives can be good but if the UV can't reach the glue it won't cure. This can be a problem for surface mounting. Bondix is not a particularly good value, by the way. Loctite AA 349 is a good choice but the curing lamp is critical and needs to be reasonably high output.