Can you suggest a cordless screwdriver ?...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Bought this several years ago and love it. Not available on Amazon now... It's not for putting decking boards down but handy on my bench for screws and nuts. Plus USB rechargeable.
1643763887496.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am going to recommend something that is absolutely not cheap. This is the Milwaukee 4V screwdriver:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/2101-22

1643796785272.jpeg
It is definitely the premium choice, but in my opinion it is worth the cost if you can afford it. I am interested in the Bosch ecosystem, and have a lot of Bosch tools and batteries. However, were I to start over now building my toolset I would buy Milwaukee. They’ve really managed to produce the best overall line of battery powered tools.

That is not to say I don’t like my Bosch tool, because I do. But the range of options and the power of the high end Milwaukee stuff is really impressive.

Anyway, most people won‘t want to spend this sort of money, but for tools I look for the best that I can afford. This is expensive but not unattainable.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I am going to recommend something that is absolutely not cheap. This is the Milwaukee 4V screwdriver:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/2101-22

It is definitely the premium choice, but in my opinion it is worth the cost if you can afford it. I am interested in the Bosch ecosystem, and have a lot of Bosch tools and batteries. However, were I to start over now building my toolset I would buy Milwaukee. They’ve really managed to produce the best overall line of battery powered tools.

That is not to say I don’t like my Bosch tool, because I do. But the range of options and the power of the high end Milwaukee stuff is really impressive.

Anyway, most people won‘t want to spend this sort of money, but for tools I look for the best that I can afford. This is expensive but not unattainable.
If the OP doesn't have a charger or battery to share with other Milwaukee tools, the price tag is $179 list price. Tool only, $99. I'd consider that a great novelty/collectible/enthusiast item for anyone not using it on a daily or hourly basis.
@Externet , how many screws per day or per week will you be installing? Is this a one-time project or do you expect regular use for some time period or for the foreseeable future?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, gentlemen.
My Milwaukee not 4V has worked for $25 since 1996 and is now tired. A great, great run ! Price is not decisive, could spend the $100+ for a new one.
Transplanted li-ion cells to spare battery cases but other things are failing from age and wear :

1643818942877.png
With many 18650 cells spares waiting for use in my bins, I hoped to find a cordless screwdriver that would accept the cells directly with no proprietary cell casing nor charger. No luck.:(
Usage is about 200 screws/week. Its charger accepts only its removable pack. I have chargers for bare 18650s.

Yesterday I transplanted li-ion to my Craftsman driver below but not enough power... But found a 4.2V wall charger for it ;)
1643820006375.png

Seems the industry is reluctant to let users handle bare lithium sells as if they were bare rechargeable NiMH 'AAs' :(

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks, gentlemen.
My Milwaukee not 4V has worked for $25 since 1996 and is now tired. A great, great run ! Price is not decisive, could spend the $100+ for a new one.
Transplanted li-ion cells to spare battery cases but other things are failing from age and wear :

View attachment 259446
I remember these drivers well. I was working at the Boston Museum of Science when they were first for sale and our exhibits department really loved them. They were the only battery powered tool they used.

I had a small Makita cordless (which I still own, along with two versions of the Makita larger drill, all originally NiCd) and loved it. I used it for so many things and it was a novelty at the time.

If you haven't seen this guy's YOuTube channel, you need to. This is one of many Makita drill restorations. In one, he converted a 12V model using a battery case that was the same form factor as the original battery. I never new those existed. He does amazing work on all sorts of power tools. He's in Japan, and he seems to find a lot of vintage tools to work on.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I remember these drivers well. I was working at the Boston Museum of Science when they were first for sale and our exhibits department really loved them. They were the only battery powered tool they used.

I had a small Makita cordless (which I still own, along with two versions of the Makita larger drill, all originally NiCd) and loved it. I used it for so many things and it was a novelty at the time.

If you haven't seen this guy's YOuTube channel, you need to. This is one of many Makita drill restorations. In one, he converted a 12V model using a battery case that was the same form factor as the original battery. I never new those existed. He does amazing work on all sorts of power tools. He's in Japan, and he seems to find a lot of vintage tools to work on.

I like how he uses manual screwdrivers to repair the electric screwdriver.