Can you help identify this part

jungleb0y0124

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I'm not sure what it is right now, if it was a transistor I should

be able to tell if it's a NPN or PNP based on how i get the reading off of it with my meter but it's giving me a reading in all directions unless it's one of these new NP/PN/PN transistors. I used both diode setting on the meter and ohm

It's not a diode because I get a reading in all directions as well, I used the schematic below for the diode.

Maybe it's a thermistor that might explain the readings in all directions, or maybe it's because im testing it in the circuit which im going to think is my real issue.

If anyone has seen that part before that would be great if not i'll probably have to pull this out of the circuit to find out what it is.

jungleb0y0124

Joined Apr 18, 2010
evidently not with it in the circuit, I have two more boards that have this chip on them that's smoked and I was just now getting around to trying to repair them but im not having an luck with it in the circuit. I'll probably have to pull it out for it to make any sense to me.

I think it's odd that there's nothing on google about it.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Have you tried googling any info on the circuit board? What device is the circuit board part of?

SOT 23s almost never have easy identifying info on them. I would try to trace out the circuit - it may become obvious from the context.

You will commonly find diodes, transistors (bipolar and fet/mosfet), voltage regulators in that package.

By the way, getting in-circuit readings can be tough as other components may interfere.

jungleb0y0124

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I was trying to trace it out probably the same time you were typing that up.. I think it's a LDO, if it was a SOT23 transistor what would be the collector is going to a +V source and what would be the Base is going to ground so that would leave the last leg the output.

Stuck some power to it and it it's a 1.8V LDO (end of story I guess)

Thanks to those that had input

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Yup, sure sounds like you got it. Good news is it's a commodity part so even if you don't have the exact part number, you can get a replacement for about $0.40.

I would, however, try to figure out why 2 got fried.