Can we generate 3.3V output with 3.3V input using Buck Regulator?

sharath_412

Joined May 7, 2007
Hi All,
I was using a buck regulator to generate 2.8 Volts from 3.3 volts. Now i need 3.3 volts output. Can I use the same buck regulator with the same input voltage of 3.3 volts.

regards
sharath

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Not really, any real switch will some small voltage drop across it. What is the reason you need a regulator? At those small voltage differentials you can often use an LDO (still has a small V drop from input to output).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A SEPIC converter has the possibility to have its input either above or below the output voltage. Is it right for you? Hard to say without knowing your requirements.

A 3.3 Volt LDO will need at about 3.45 V on the input for 150 mV LDO. Your mileage may vary.

sharath_412

Joined May 7, 2007
Thanks for the sugesions:
Actually I am using Power Management unit which takes 3.3 volts. This PMU gives out other supplies. As mrmeval said I think we can use the 3.3 volts directly from the source.

regards
sharath

cooloo

Joined Sep 28, 2007
Charge pump regulator can do it . Sometime we can't use 3.3V directly due to locked up on the digital circuit if for some reasons it falls out of V specs. The regulator can help it stay in 3.3V . Sorry for my English . Kinda to old to learn to write it correct .