Can someone please help me understand what my attached antenna directivity "relative"

donut

Joined May 23, 2012
Can someone please help me understand what my attached antenna directivity "relative" plots are telling me?

For starters I would like to know:

1) Since the E-Plane directivity plot describes the vertical/elevation pattern, what does that truly mean to me? I dont have a clue? Does this mean if the antenna is in its vertical position my most concentrated energy will be pointing to the sky and to the earth? How useful is that?

2) Since the H-Plane directivity plot describes the horizontal/azimuth pattern, what does that truly mean to me? I dont have a clue? Does this mean if the antenna is in its horizontal position my most concentrated energy will be pointing to my left and right?

If I am using a antenna am I occupying both E and H planed equally or am i spending more of my time in a particular plane more than another?

If I am holding my antenna in the vertical/elevation plan do I only have the vertical/elevation energy available to me or do I also have the horizontal-azimuth energy as well?

Can I interpret the gain of my antenna from these plots? Do i just look at the E plane ploy for gain or the H field plot?

I understand the difference between Vertical/Elevation and Horizontal/Azimuth. I just dont understand what the radiation pattern is telling me about the energy, if that makes sense.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments