Can somebody help me identify this transformer

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It may be 156 VA rated, but only for its original purpose. If you try to input at the 480 volt winding and output at the 120 volt winding to achieve 30 volts, you are limited by the diameter of the wire which is calculated to deliver 156 VA at 120 volts. The smallest wire in the transformer will be the limiting factor, and I think it is the 480 volt input. That one is built for 0.32 amps and, if you apply 120 volts there, in order to get a 30 volt output, the limit is 38.4 VA.

kapooski2012

Joined Oct 17, 2012
I have no intention what so ever to use 480 volt. I would be using what's available in my garage/small workshop 120 volts. I very limited knowledge of electronics. The transformer came form a plant that closed a few years ago, along with the variac. I've tinkered with small stuff, like using a computer power supply to make a 12v power supply to use in a electrolysis project (removing rust from cast iron pan). So with this isolation transformer and my 120 v variac, I would need a few more parts to fabricate a d/c power supply that would have...an output of how much?

kapooski2012

Joined Oct 17, 2012
So I can't use it as isolation transformer. So I understand this correctly , the only thing its good for is providing somewhat clean power to a 3 wire start/stop, nothing else? What else could I use it for fun in my workshop. Almost retired and need to do something with the stuff I have, caps, a couple of breadboards, a bunch of resistors....can't forget two auto transformers.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If ( when) you get an oscope, or other test equipment can be powered through this isolation transformer so you can isolate it from any mains powered project you work on. It makes everything a bit safer for you and a lot safer for your scope.