Can robots be programmed by Matlab ?

thar07

Joined Jan 3, 2015
I want to know whether robots which use Arduino or PIC as a micro-controller, be programmed by Matlab ?

P.S
I'm planing to build a robot which uses a camera to identify object colors and shapes.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am not aware that robots which use any kind of microcontroller are programmable in Matlab. Matlab is an interpreted language with a JIT compiler, that does one thing particularly well and that is matrix inversion, which is used for solving systems of equations. To the extent that Matlab can create and output strings of symbols and numbers, you could program the Arduino or PIC or other processor to accept strings of arbitrary symbols, parse them, and respond to them.

It is not however a builtin, plug-and-play feature of Matlab or Arduino. This would be a considerable undertaking on your part.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I would say use the Arduino & their free IDE
Plenty of source code for all of the shields.

Arduino Color Recognition Sensor Module
http://www.mpja.com/Color-Sensor-Recognition-Module-Arduino-Module-TCS230/productinfo/31582+MP

Designed around 4 White LEDs and the TAOS TCS230 sensor IC. The four white LED’s to provide a broad spectrum light source .The TCS230 has an 8 x 8 array of photodiodes with color filters (16 Red, 16 Blue, 16 Green, 16 Clear). A light to frequency converter generates a 50% duty cycle square wave on the output pin. Frequency is directly proportional to light intensity. Output scaling 100%, 20% and 2% allows for wide dynamic range of intensities. The color selects (S2, S3), frequency scale (S0, S1) and output are TTL logic level and can be connected directly to the micro controller. Basic readings are easy using the Arduino “pulsein” command. Take a reading for each color. The reading with narrowest pulse width or highest frequency is the major color. Using advanced ratio analysis almost any color could be recognized. Multiple uses by adding lenses, color filters, different light source.
Check out: www. arduino.cc.en and others.

Camera Arduino Compatible Shield
http://www.mpja.com/Camera-Arduino-Compatible-Shield/productinfo/31065+MP

2M Pixal Camera for Arduino UNO/MEGA
ArduCAM-F RevB is an Arduino based open source camera Shield including a 2 Mega Pixal OV2540 CMOS camera module with JPEG output. More info at www.arducam.com & www.arduino.cc.en.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would say use the Arduino & their free IDE
Plenty of source code for all of the shields.

Arduino Color Recognition Sensor Module
http://www.mpja.com/Color-Sensor-Recognition-Module-Arduino-Module-TCS230/productinfo/31582+MP

Designed around 4 White LEDs and the TAOS TCS230 sensor IC. The four white LED’s to provide a broad spectrum light source .The TCS230 has an 8 x 8 array of photodiodes with color filters (16 Red, 16 Blue, 16 Green, 16 Clear). A light to frequency converter generates a 50% duty cycle square wave on the output pin. Frequency is directly proportional to light intensity. Output scaling 100%, 20% and 2% allows for wide dynamic range of intensities. The color selects (S2, S3), frequency scale (S0, S1) and output are TTL logic level and can be connected directly to the micro controller. Basic readings are easy using the Arduino “pulsein” command. Take a reading for each color. The reading with narrowest pulse width or highest frequency is the major color. Using advanced ratio analysis almost any color could be recognized. Multiple uses by adding lenses, color filters, different light source.
Check out: www. arduino.cc.en and others.

Camera Arduino Compatible Shield
http://www.mpja.com/Camera-Arduino-Compatible-Shield/productinfo/31065+MP

2M Pixal Camera for Arduino UNO/MEGA
ArduCAM-F RevB is an Arduino based open source camera Shield including a 2 Mega Pixal OV2540 CMOS camera module with JPEG output. More info at www.arducam.com & www.arduino.cc.en.
@DNA Robotics So how do you program an Arduino using Matlab? That is the question at hand. Do you have any bright ideas?

thar07

Joined Jan 3, 2015
In the robot I'm thinking of using a 2MP web camera, so what micro-controller is best interface with it?
I want to identify the objects within 1 or 2 seconds.

In the industrial machine vision systems what type languages are used to program?

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I am not aware that robots which use any kind of microcontroller are programmable in Matlab.
It is not however a builtin, plug-and-play feature of Matlab or Arduino. This would be a considerable undertaking on your part.
@DNA Robotics So how do you program an Arduino using Matlab? That is the question at hand. Do you have any bright ideas?
I suggested an alternative. Don't even try.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I suggested an alternative. Don't even try.
I understand what you did, but your answer did not address the original question. I still think it is possible to do what the TS/OP wants to do, but I think it will take more effort than he is prepared to expend. AFAIK there is no ready made out-of-the box solution, but who knows.