Can Rigol power supply act as battery emuator or can we program it according to our application?

dharitri hazarika

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Hi,

I want to make an application where, I can test how fast my battery(Lithium Ion) gets discharge when i use it for different applications(like, turning on the display, or running the audio in the system). But, for this I want to use a battery emulator in place of a real battery in test. As, I want to test only the discharging part of the battery, hence, can i use a power supply for it? As, I have a rigol power supply, so can anyone suggest if it will work out??

Reply for this query would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Dharitri

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It sounds like you want to gather data on various loads or conditions to your system. A fixed power supply is desired over a battery as it us fixed or constant, so your data is repeatable.

That gives you load currents you can use to figure out the drain in amp hours on the battery to estimate the life.

Note I say estimate. A real battery may act differently, in fact each battery of the same type may act different from the others, though close. It is a good baseline test that is useful in selecting a battery.

And welcome to the forums!

dharitri hazarika

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Thanks ErnieM for the reply.

Its right that a real battery will act differently and hence, i am trying to understand the battery characteristics over time. If required , will come back with some related queries.

Regards,
Dharitri