Can metal detection be achieved by using Hall sensing elements?

Young2

Joined Dec 7, 2020
Recently in the preparation of a metal detection project, before reading Hall sensing elements and cell phones to upload data to the Ali cloud project, I want to port it to do on the port serial screen, but I am now very confused about Hall sensing elements can really do metal detection?

Moderetors note : removed hidden spam

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A Hall device in conjunction with a magnet can be used to detect materials like iron, steel, and nickel. Other metals such as copper and aluminum can be detected if there is sufficient current passing through them in the region of the Hall sensor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A hall effect device will sense magnetic fields. So it may be used to sense the influence of ferrous metals, but not any other kinds of metals. So it would not be suitable for a typical metal detector application.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Proximity switches are abundant and take many forms, there are ferrous metal versions as well as non-ferrous.
Most proximity switches of the industrial rating kind use an inductive sensor. The capacitive proximity witches use a different scheme. I am not aware of a common industrial prox switch that uses a hall-effect pickup.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most proximity switches of the industrial rating kind use an inductive sensor. The capacitive proximity witches use a different scheme. I am not aware of a common industrial prox switch that uses a hall-effect pickup.
I have used Turck sensors in the past, they ore one of the many manufacturers that make ferrous and non-ferrous detectors as well as the ultra-sonic versions that detect most objects.
For Hall effect types there is the SS4xx versions from Honeywell.
The first two types are available in 3wire and 2 wire versions.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have used Turck sensors in the past, they ore one of the many manufacturers that make ferrous and non-ferrous detectors as well as the ultra-sonic versions that detect most objects.
For Hall effect types there is the SS4xx versions from Honeywell.
The first two types are available in 3wire and 2 wire versions.
Max, reread post #1 carefully, which I just did. The TS, I think, wants to upload sensor data to a cell phone: " the preparation of a metal detection project, before reading Hall sensing elements and cell phones to upload data to the Ali cloud project, I want to port it to do on the port serial screen,"
At this point I realize that I have nothing to offer.

Last edited:

Young2

Joined Dec 7, 2020
A Hall device in conjunction with a magnet can be used to detect materials like iron, steel, and nickel. Other metals such as copper and aluminum can be detected if there is sufficient current passing through them in the region of the Hall sensor.
Oh yes, I plan to use the Hall element with the magnet and I did purchase the magnet when I purchased the Hall element.

Young2

Joined Dec 7, 2020
A hall effect device will sense magnetic fields. So it may be used to sense the influence of ferrous metals, but not any other kinds of metals. So it would not be suitable for a typical metal detector application.
It can only detect ferrous metals? Is there a way to make it detect common metals as well?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Given that we have no clues as to how much metal is to be detected,nor at what distance, nor how fast the detection must be, ALL of the responses are at best poor guesses.
Is the TS seeking to detect smallbits of metal in harvested fruit,or to locate buried treasure? or perhaps to detect anti-personell mines in a field? Each application is far different.
And uploading data to a cell phone makes the required design a whole lot more complex. There is also a reference to "the cloud", which tells me that there is a HUGE amount of information needed before we can even undwerstad the question.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The first question will be about how much of what kind of metal do you need to detect from what distance away, do you need to detect, and how fast does it need to be detected.

Young2

Joined Dec 7, 2020
The first question will be about how much of what kind of metal do you need to detect from what distance away, do you need to detect, and how fast does it need to be detected.
My initial idea was to do a small test project, so I just went with a small range of Hall element sensors, and I purchased magnets separately, just to make sure they would work properly and to get familiar with the communication between the detector and the touch screen and microcontroller.
After that, if I want to finish the real metal detector I will buy other more professional sensors.