Can I Solder a usb-c female to a dc output?

TheGuyMain

Joined Jun 28, 2021
Why does the 12V device have a USB-C connector? Normally, 12V devices use a DC barrel jack.

Bob
Because plugging it into a wall when I already have the first monitor and pc and router etc plugged in creates clutter and makes it less portable. It’s more of a quality of life thing

edit: I think I misunderstood I’m thinking of using a female usb-c to dc barrel jack cable but I want the power source to be my computer instead of a wall outlet

TheGuyMain

Joined Jun 28, 2021
Just use the appropriate connector on each side:

USB -> boost -> converter -> barrel jack

Bob
That’s my plan. The issue is the current. Usb 2 provides 500mA of current and I’m trying to boost 5V to 12V. I’m asking if it would work. So far I’m hearing not really

TheGuyMain

Joined Jun 28, 2021
It is not the voltage that's a problem it's the current. Without information about how much current the ports produce, the efficiency of the boost converter, and the current requirements of the display that question can't be answered without anything but a guess.

"Maybe."
I bought a power meter and the monitor sits at around 7.4 Watts when I was using a 12V 3A DC plug. Do you think the wattage from the USB connection would be enough?