Can I run 2 AC/DC transformers from the same AC supply?

Ali Afshar

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have 2 AC/DC transformers, both 220V AC input and output 1 is 24V DC and one is 5V DC in a project that needs both. My question is simple, can I run them both off the same AC (mains) supply in parallel? I can't see a reason why not but I am having difficulties finding a comprehensive answer.

Thanks very much for your help.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You can run as many appliances on the same circuit as you want; as long as the total current drawn is lower than the circuit breaker rating.

In the US, only a few appliances have dedicated circuits: stove, dryer, air conditioner, water heater, well pump, etc. Interestingly, my stove hood is on a breaker by itself.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Certainly.

If the project demands both supplies output at the same time and the combined AC load approaches 1/2 or more of the typical supplying branch circuit ampacity, or perhaps you intend to share a common DC bus, you should likely put both the units into a common enclosure and give them each an overcurrent protection device on the secondary side of a common disconnecting means....... but this is simply chatter. The answer to your question is simple.