Can I power the start winding of a motor directly?

philosopher76

Joined May 28, 2019
I have a 9.5 washer machine motor. The timer is burn. The motor works fine out of the washer. It has a switch where the start winding is powered. Can I connect a power chord directly to the start winding and once done that the centrifugal switch will switch to the run winding itself?
I have read the theory about single-phase motors and the role of centrifugal switch.

Attachments

philosopher76

Joined May 28, 2019
If it is really important to show that I will really do it tomorrow because I need to remove the motor again from the washer. Otherwise, I am sure because it has one similar to the one on the picture attached.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a 9.5 washer machine motor. The timer is burn. The motor works fine out of the washer. It has a switch where the start winding is powered. Can I connect a power chord directly to the start winding and once done that the centrifugal switch will switch to the run winding itself?
I have read the theory about single-phase motors and the role of centrifugal switch.
Not sure what you are wanting to do here?
If the start SW works, why not allow it to do the job, why do you need to connect power direct to the start winding?
Connecting direct will most likely by-pass the start capacitor?
Or do you mean connect an external SW in parallel?

philosopher76

Joined May 28, 2019
I will connect the capacitor in series with the power line and the start winding. My specific question is: should I do this using the connections on the small black hub of the motor or just take the two terminals of the start winding apart and make the circuit?

philosopher76

Joined May 28, 2019
Sure. Here is the drawing. Again, in case it is correct , can I take the start winding terminals out of the switch where al all the connections or should I connect L and N to them but on the switch (the black box) that appears on the picture.

Attachments