Can I exchange thermocuples type K?

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hello. I´m building a heat treatmen oven. The PID to control the temperature works between 0 and 1.300 ºC, but the K probe (in the left) only works up 400 ºC so I bought the right one that can works up to 1.300ºC.

The question is, both of them gives the same voltage at the same temperature? So I can exchange them in the PID

Thank you.

Best regards

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Yes, both of them are type K. I was worried because the second one is bigger so it could give more voltage at the same temperature. Thank you!

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Yes, both of them are type K. I was worried because the second one is bigger so it could give more voltage at the same temperature. Thank you!
The voltage varies with the temperature and the type of metal but not with the resistance of the wire - look up "Seebeck effect"

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hi. I have another question. Since the wires of the thermocouple is inside a metal mesh sheet, Should I worry about mixing that cable whit the 220VAC cables? I mean, could that make an interference with the signal of the probe and give bad lectures of the temperature?

Thank you

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi. I have another question. Since the wires of the thermocouple is inside a metal mesh sheet, Should I worry about mixing that cable whit the 220VAC cables? I mean, could that make an interference with the signal of the probe and give bad lectures of the temperature?

Thank you
Standards will most likely forbid your putting the thermocouple next to mains cable, unless the mains cables are double insulated.
It seems as though your thermocouple cable is screened, which will help. The thermocouple amplifier is a differential amplifier which will eliminate noise picked up in the input cables, and it will also be filtered at a low frequency, as temperatures rarely fluctuate faster than 1Hz.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The close proximity of the two cables may result in a noise issue. And if the thermocouple accidentally contacts any part of the 220 volt mains circuit, the destruction of the temperature control device will be complete.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good that isolation is in place.
The effect of heavier thermocouple wire is slower response time, which is usually not an issue. And they may be able to deliver more current, but at the same voltage. But I have not verified that .