Can I cook or what ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

Mom was frying fish for lunch today and I was hanging around with the little one.

Saw some undone fresh fish ready to be fried. So I thought of a great Idea. :D
Why not microwave.

So put one when mom wasn't looking and was wondering what setting to use.

It should be longer than rice but not chicken.

When switch on it was 7 min.

After about 5 minutes mom started to cough and I never knew. I went into kitchen to put some water in fridge to make Ice, I started to cough.

It did not stop but I thought it was the frying.
It got worse. Suddenly mom shouted why was microwave smoking.

I looked and I could not see inside and then I knew it was the fish inside making us cough.

I opened and found my dear fish like this

It had melted :eek:.

I took out and put into the wash basin and crack.
Mom yelled that dish was older than me.

But I was too worried about my fish.

Microwave isn't just my thing. :(

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
That reminds me of last time I used microwave (once in 15 years...) - I was ased to warm up tea in a cup by putting it in a microwave (a place I volunteered at). Now this made no sense to me because it was black tea-bag that would be over-steeped and aweful tasting (I like my tea just right and expensive)... anyway, I figured that 1 minute should be good (following no guidelines). There was no smell, but when I opened the door of the microwave, it looked like there was an explosion inside and half of the contents were all over the microwave. Interesting, scarry.

I feel sad for your fish. What kind of a fish was it?

I am afraid of microwaves...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I cannot never get the English name of these fishies.

And we grew up eating 'em.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'll borrow a phrase from Audioguru here:

REAL cooks don't use microwave ovens. We don't have one, we never did. A stove with hot plates and a campinggaz covers all my cooking needs.

You sloppy people, why don't you give cooking the attention it deserves?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I remember 1 kitchen nightmares with Ramsey and he walked into a "5 star" place and the kitchen had 9 microwaves and everything was cooked that way.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Gee,

Don't quite know what to say. I cook all the time. According to the eaters, I'm not half bad at it. Use 'old school' gas and all. However, I use the microwave 3 or 4 times a day and have never had an issue.

I never use it to actually cook. However, for heating left-overs, defrosting meat and other raw foods and warming drinks, it's irreplaceable.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Spent a lot of bachelor time in military barracks with nothing but a microwave. I can efficiently cook just about anything in a microwave as I can cook it any other way (that's not saying much, I'm no chef).
Tricks:
to steam things, like dumplings: spray the food with a water bottle, like a re-purposed windex bottle. cover with saran wrap, microwave.
to cook bacon: just put raw bacon between several layers of paper towel, microwave.
chicken: insert into microwave, microwave
pasta: put pasta in water in a bowl/cup, microwave.
baked potatoes: stab potato repeatedly, microwave.
Mashed potatoes: mash microwaved baked potatoes with milk and butter(lots, for tastiness).
steak: apply rub, microwave (not tasty, but edible)

There's many more things you can cook in a microwave if that's your only option. I used the general instruction "microwave" in place of set times, because I feel that cook time is up to you. I never follow directions for cook times anyway.

more microwave info:
You don't have to follow the directions on the TV dinner box (like microwave 10 min on high, rotate, microwave 5 min on 70%, rotate, etc...) just nuke that sucker until its cooked, maybe stir it somewhere in the middle.
make sure you have one with a turntable.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Never put a really hot plate into cold water.

Or really cold water into a hot glass/cup.

Maybe this thread needs to go to the physics forum? :p

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Never put a really hot plate into cold water.

Or really cold water into a hot glass/cup.

Maybe this thread needs to go to the physics forum? :p
Hmm... if you pour boiling water into glass, which would crack faster thin-walled or thick and why? :eek:

p.s. microwaves cannot be used for cooking

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hmm... if you pour boiling water into glass, which would crack faster thin-walled or thick and why? :eek:

p.s. microwaves cannot be used for cooking
The heat will cause the glass to expand. In a thick walled glass you may get temperature gradients causing uneven thermal stress. And that will cause tensions in the glass. Causing it to crack. A thin walled glass will heat up more equally. You will get some temperature gradients and some thermal stress. But probably not enough to cause so much tension that the glass crack. In the R!f@@ versus fish microwave case. The plate itself may have been more or less transparent to microwaves. So It is possible that it was just heated by the food in the center of a elsewhere cold plate. The center became very hot and expanded. The plate form was unable to accommodate that uneven thermal stress, and cracked across the center. Much like R!f@@ mom. She also experienced a lot of tension and stress by all this. But in her case case after cooling of. The process was reversible.:p

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrAl Off-Topic 37
MrChips Off-Topic 7