Can I change the effective angle of a potentiometer?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
9,237
Ahh, yeah, i was struggling with clarity in those earlier posts. In one, I was talking at a conceptual level. In the next, I was more concrete. The stackable pots I am thinking of are easily adapted to this solution. And thanks for the suggestion regarding the "tails". I should have come up with that myself; I am aware of the technique.
 
Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,233
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by "stackable pots" -- I can certainly envision the concept and several ways of how they could be constructed; the main picture I have in my mind involves some kind of internal gear/wheel that you slide down a common shaft, which could be accomplished, at least crudely, on most pot designs by just having the adjustment shaft having a hole through it. I'm not sure that I have ever actually seen one (though I would not be surprised at all to discover that I've use pieces of equipment that had them).
 

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
9,237
The ones that I have seen have a master pot, with a normal shaft. Then the bottom of each modular pot, is a cross shaped end to the shaft, like but really not the same as a Phillips screwdriver. The top of the stackable components have a female cross which mates with other components. But, I haven't found them again. I was holding off responding earlier until I had a link to them. In the case of the 90 degree pot, this would work perfectly because the objective would result in an alignment offset of 270 degrees.
 

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,233
Would it work perfectly? If the total range of rotation was 300°, then you would want one pot offset from the other by 210°, not 270°.
 

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
9,237
I'll have to think about that. I'll say that I believe you're right, but I am laying back in my recliner, which is great for daydreaming and not so much for detailed design work. And I need to convince myself.
 
Top