Can high voltage circuitry discharge by sharing same ground with low voltage circuitry?

Phạm Việt Dũng

Joined Aug 29, 2018
I'm using these full wave voltage multiplier configuration and notice that they have "ground" notation:

I wonder could this ground be shared with lower power circuit like the Arduino that I use to generate signal to drive this high voltage generator circuit. Since they already share the same power supply (my case is a battery). In my case, this full-wave voltage multiplier circuit put out roughly 50kV and I mainly use it for corona discharge, the corona discharge might not discharging the high voltage fast enough so it could build up and fires the circuit.
So the question is that, can sharing the common ground help protecting the high voltage circuitry from under discharging? And is this safe for sharing GND with the whole circuit that operates with low power?
Many thanks!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The answer is yes. There is no problem sharing the supply ground between the two circuits as long as each circuit ground is connected individually close to the power source ground. If a path is shared, the current flowing to ground from one circuit may cause voltage drop across the wire that could interfere with the other circuit. This would be especially noticeable if one circuit has high frequency or fast transient supply requirements.

Phạm Việt Dũng

Joined Aug 29, 2018
Great to hear that !!
So now I believe the circuit above can work flawlessly and durably thank to the transformer (even in the under-discharge condition like no discharge spark).
And for the high voltage circuitry, especially like the Voltage multiplier, should not be ground shared if they share the same source with the lower power circuit.