Can arduino display audio song?

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
Hi , i searched internet and found our that most arduino can display only audio in terms of wav form. However, i want arduino to display a whole song (with people singing) instead of just tone, can arduino do that ?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
A wav file is just a collection of instantaneous voltages that you output to a speaker. If you wanted tones eg a spectrum like a equaliser then you would need to do a fourier analysis. You could use an arduino to do an a/d and then output the voltages as a series of LED's say and the display would contain everything in the audio all at once as simple intensity values.

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
A wav file is just a collection of instantaneous voltages that you output to a speaker. If you wanted tones eg a spectrum like a equaliser then you would need to do a fourier analysis. You could use an arduino to do an a/d and then output the voltages as a series of LED's say and the display would contain everything in the audio all at once as simple intensity values.

If i store the music into sd card and just use arduino to retrieve it,do i still nid to do fourier analysis?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Curious, what do you mean by "display a whole song"? What are you expecting to display. If you mean play a whole song, more than just tones, there are MP3 and WAV shields that play songs recorded in those formats.

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
Curious, what do you mean by "display a whole song"? What are you expecting to display. If you mean play a whole song, more than just tones, there are MP3 and WAV shields that play songs recorded in those formats.
Yaya that is what i mean , but can i dun purchase the shield? I mean just use arduino and an sd card to achive that thing? Can?

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
Er sry also to ask , what is the difference between wave format and mp3 format ( haha sry for asking such dumb) question

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The SD card reader requires extra supporting electronics, which the shields supply. Similarly, the shield provides the necessary digital to analog conversion in one of the supported formats, as well as supplying amplification if needed for the audio.

In brief, in one module, the developer (you) is given a complete package to use.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Google is your friend. Briefly, each music format (WAV, MP3, MP4, FLAC…) stores the sound in different bit patterns. WAV is the full spectrum, uncompressed sound encoding, everything. This makes for a large file size and as such is unsuitable for music distribution. MP3 is a compressed encoding method, omitting parts if the spectrum that can't be heard. This varies based on sampling rate.
In my case, I was using short audio clips, and the size was not an issue and I used WAV files. The next version will use MP3 files.