can anyone give me a control circuit diagram that can start/stop with only one n/o button ?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, can anyone give me a control circuit diagram that can start/stop with only one n/o button ?
Yes, many of us can but you'll need to give us more info.
You mean the same button (n.o.) will be the start and stop, right?

Then look for a flip-flop circuit.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are looking for a digital logic solution, what you need is a push-button debouncer circuit (such as a low-pass filter and a 50ms monostable circuit) clocking a T-type flip-flop (a J-K flip-flop with both J and K connected to logic high). I can draw up a circuit schematic if this is what you need.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So is this extra to what you show?
Is the N.O. Air switch you ref in the OP?
What is needed above what is there now?
Something should be picking up a 3ph contactor.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's a simple toggle latch that inherently ignores switch bounce, and the right invertor's output can drive SSR's (Solid State Relays) to control the motor.
If you want to drive a contactor, that will require an additional transistor or two for amplification of the current.
It can operate from a 3 to 15V supply.
(Note that the 4 unused inputs on the 4069 must be connected to ground, or they can be used in parallel to increase the output current drive of the right inverter.)

Will that do what you want?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks guys. It is a 3phase 400V motor that is switched on and off with a Airswitch (n/o)
I assume this is in an Industrial environment? Is the Airswitch the primary on/off control you want?
If so then you need a method for intermediary wiring for picking up the contactor.
If already fitted, what is the voltage of the contactor coil?
What control voltage is available?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So what do you want to achieve exactly with the P.B.?
Is there anything in place or is this a new installation?
Why is the Air switch coming off of one phase? Is the N.O/N/C separate or auxiliary to the contactor?
Need the exact sequence or requirements of the desired result.
Max.

Michael1977

Joined Feb 24, 2018
Max, I want to start/stop the motor with the air switch. This is going to be new/ re-done, but this is what i have. The n/o/nc is auxiliary to the contact. Iwant to push the airswitch- the motor starts, push it again - the motor stops.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the reason you cannot use a standard dual P.B. start/stop unit?
This would be by far the simplest, otherwise you are going to need some kind of ancillary circuitry as shown so far.
Max.

Last edited:

Michael1977

Joined Feb 24, 2018
That would be the obvious solution, but this push button is under water in a pool, and there is only the one button n/o air switch. so the airswitch is the only way to start/stop the motor. i can ad whatever i want in the control circuit after the airsitch, but it must still be able to switch on/off via the one airswitch

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well you could use the relay solution I posted, you would need a 24vdc aux supply, and install it external to the pool. .
This must be a large pool if a 3ph 400 v motor!
It helps if all the info. is related ahead of time!
What condition to you need as fail safe, if the power should be lost and then re-established?
Max..