Can an MCU access a website than an AWS EC2 server is hosting?

BrettC

Joined Mar 19, 2022
Hello, I am working on a project that involves using a smartphone app to interact with an MCU (give it fairly simple commands). Is it possible to host the website on an AWS EC2 server, and then have the MCU connect to that server in order to await commands from the smartphone app?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello, I am working on a project that involves using a smartphone app to interact with an MCU (give it fairly simple commands). Is it possible to host the website on an AWS EC2 server, and then have the MCU connect to that server in order to await commands from the smartphone app?
Yes.

BrettC

Joined Mar 19, 2022
How long will the messages to the MCU be?
Do you have a response time requirement?
Will the MCU be battery powered?
How will the MCU be connecting to the network?
I am working on a project that will construct sandwiches automatically, and I wanted to allow wireless functionality with the smartphone app. So it will give commands to create sandwiches at specific times.
Ideally I wanted the sandwich to be created in 5 or less minutes, so I dont think response times should be too much of an issue since the sandwiches will be very basic.
I was going to use an ESP8266 ESP12-F connected to an MSP430 to give the MCU access to the network.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am working on a project that will construct sandwiches automatically, and I wanted to allow wireless functionality with the smartphone app. So it will give commands to create sandwiches at specific times.
Ideally I wanted the sandwich to be created in 5 or less minutes, so I dont think response times should be too much of an issue since the sandwiches will be very basic.
I was going to use an ESP8266 ESP12-F connected to an MSP430 to give the MCU access to the network.
OK. Is this a school project?
Why did you pick the MSP430 when the ESP8266 is a fully functioning MCU?
Do you have root access to the EC2 instance?