can a micro sdcard ( or sd / flash drive ) be used as an 8 bit binary storage?

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
So. I was thinking about getting parts like a memory chip ( €1.50 a piece with €15+ shipping )

but it made me realize: why not use what you have,
So i wondered if i could use and ss or micro sd card to store 8 bit binary code

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
The 4 bit computer, the sd will have all instructions and data stored, and then when the data is modified by the computer it will be put into another sdcard or any other data storage ( thats what i have in mind )

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
Making memory from transistors myself would take too much space, time and money, so i was thinking of using an sd instead

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The computer will need to have the code to be able to access the SD card when it starts up so you will need some non-volatile memory - flash? - which the computer can access directly. Like the Bios used by laptop/desktop computers.

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
The computer will need to have the code to be able to access the SD card when it starts up so you will need some non-volatile memory - flash? - which the computer can access directly. Like the Bios used by laptop/desktop computers.
Can you give me an example of that code ?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
No because it will need to be written using whatever instructions your computer uses. What will work for an Intel Pentium won't work for an Arduino or a PIC.

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
No because it will need to be written using whatever instructions your computer uses. What will work for an Intel Pentium won't work for an Arduino or a PIC.
Yea. I get that part

im using 4 bits for instructions and another 4 for the data it should use

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What you want is possible but not easy or really practical in most cases for a simple controller. The (SDCARD) memory needs something to emulate the data and address structure of the random access ram the processor would normally use. This emulation could be a internal boot program on the 4 bit processor or it could be a external ram emulation similar to this that was designed for the Z80 processor that provides the hardware lines and signals for a 'normal' ram/rom memory and/or i/o.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/memio-emulator-for-z80.117003/

Just me1

Joined Sep 3, 2017
What you want is possible but not easy or really practical in most cases for a simple controller. The (SDCARD) memory needs something to emulate the data and address structure of the random access ram the processor would normally use. This emulation could be a internal boot program on the 4 bit processor or it could be a external ram emulation similar to this that was designed for the Z80 processor that provides the hardware lines and signals for a 'normal' ram/rom memory and/or i/o.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/memio-emulator-for-z80.117003/
Sounds like what i need
Thanks