Can a light ballast be converted to a music amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valdezdj

Joined Sep 3, 2019
I've got several 1000 watt ballasts for grow lights that I want to convert to use as music amplifiers.

Is this possible?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In a word, no.
You might be able to re-purpose about 1% of the components of a modern electronic ballast, but you'd still have to source the remaining 99%. Were you thinking of playing tunes to your plants to encourage growth? :).
Welcome to AAC!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Really, it may be possible, but probably neither cost effective nor worth the effort.
Of course this evaluation is without having seen them or knowing just what you mean by the term " Music amplifiers". And also, most ballast devices for lights are not thousand watt devices, unless you are referencing ballasts for some sort of high pressure vapor lights and not florescent types. The very first challenge would be if all of the internal components were encapsulated, which makes them very difficult to access.
But it may be that the cases are nice heat-sink assemblies, in which case that part could be re-used.
Please post pictures of the ballasts and of any labels, as well as any views of the insides, if they are accessible. Then you can get answers that are better than guesses.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
After fixing some gro-lamp units I would never consider it worth while the trouble or cost, very few components could be used and a complete re-design requiring a completely different circuit is needed, if the need is to reproduce audio.
Max.

valdezdj

Joined Sep 3, 2019
SLK001 said:
Is this a joke?

This is akin to "I have a bicycle. Can I convert it into an interplanetary spaceship?"

I think we've been had.

Hmmmm.... perhaps I'm in the wrong forum. Apologies to all as I thought this was the beginners forum where members have a modicum of empathy and style that would promote questions and the learning process.

I had no idea I found the advanced forum that cant help sweat arrogance and negativity all the while gesturing for others to come look at the latest newbee-stoning like a bully on an elementary school playground.

With an obvious exception, thank you everyone for responding.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
SLK001 said:
Is this a joke?

This is akin to "I have a bicycle. Can I convert it into an interplanetary spaceship?"

I think we've been had.

Hmmmm.... perhaps I'm in the wrong forum. Apologies to all as I thought this was the beginners forum where members have a modicum of empathy and style that would promote questions and the learning process.

I had no idea I found the advanced forum that cant help sweat arrogance and negativity all the while gesturing for others to come look at the latest newbee-stoning like a bully on an elementary school playground.

With an obvious exception, thank you everyone for responding.
Get off your high horse and think just for a second about what you asked.
Most of the answers showed a remarkable level of restraint to the question.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I tried to provide a polite and accurate answer, while a bunch of others did not. It is not as hard as converting a VW bug into a Mustang, which is also possible but definitely not worth the effort. There would indeed be quite a few different parts required, but it would be an interesting challenge.
The ballast housing could be a good case for an amplifier, possibly. Don't let the replies from some get to you. "Those who can, do, those who can't, criticize." That has not changed in hundreds of years.

valdezdj

Joined Sep 3, 2019
Get off your high horse and think just for a second about what you asked.
Most of the answers showed a remarkable level of restraint to the question.
Tu Quoque

Projecting

The gaslighter may accuse you of being arrogant because they are projecting — one of the most commonly-used defense mechanisms: I can’t own up to my behavior, so I’m going to put it on you. While a pre-emptive strike is a gaslighter’s conscious choice to manipulate you for their gain, projection can take place on a conscious or unconscious level. While some gaslighters are very aware that they are putting their behavior on someone else to avoid responsibility.
Projection is an unhealthy behavior and should not be tolerated."

Whatever the origin of the gaslighter’s accusatory behavior, they are still 100 percent responsible for it. Treat all cases of accusations toward you as what they are — accusations, not facts.

There is no need to spend extra energy trying to defend yourself; it will never be good enough.

Instead, take a hard look at whether the behavior the gaslighter accuses you of is actually something they are doing.
Don’t let smoke and mirrors get in the way of uncovering the gaslighter’s behavior for what it is — manipulation of you and others by way of accusation and distraction.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Tu Quoque

Projecting

The gaslighter may accuse you of being arrogant because they are projecting — one of the most commonly-used defense mechanisms: I can’t own up to my behavior, so I’m going to put it on you. While a pre-emptive strike is a gaslighter’s conscious choice to manipulate you for their gain, projection can take place on a conscious or unconscious level. While some gaslighters are very aware that they are putting their behavior on someone else to avoid responsibility.
Projection is an unhealthy behavior and should not be tolerated."

Whatever the origin of the gaslighter’s accusatory behavior, they are still 100 percent responsible for it. Treat all cases of accusations toward you as what they are — accusations, not facts.

There is no need to spend extra energy trying to defend yourself; it will never be good enough.

Instead, take a hard look at whether the behavior the gaslighter accuses you of is actually something they are doing.
Don’t let smoke and mirrors get in the way of uncovering the gaslighter’s behavior for what it is — manipulation of you and others by way of accusation and distraction.
Exactly, look in the mirror. This the domain of older folks that speak their mind, sometimes it's not nice what happens in our heads in responsive to a perceived ludicrous question.

Let's do a reset. What exactly made you think a light ballast could be converted into a music amplifier?

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Personally, I think the OP should have been told "no" and left at that.
Providing a rational, reasonable, and polite answer is the right thing to do. And this question made more sense than quite a few of them that I have seen since my return.
And when I realized that the ballast in question is one of those with the nice heat sink types of aluminum cases it does make sense that somebody could ask.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A Nice Case and a heat sink, does not an amplifier make!!:rolleyes:
Max.
No max, indeed they do not make an amplifier. But a good heat sink and a nice case are often some of the more expensive items to purchase. And it might even be that in a 1000 watt lighting supply there is a power supply and a few power transistors attached to the heat sink. But since neither of us has seen that specific item we are both guessing. Therefore we should avoid throwing stones.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Is this a joke?
I think we've been had.
This was my original thought

I think this question has only been asked because modern ballasts do look something like amplifiers

They have what looks like a volume control , input and output terminals .... and lots of numbers with 'W' after them ... So it should be a simple job to turn it into an amplifier ..lol ... I'm afraid things aren't that easy!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This was my original thought

I think this question has only been asked because modern ballasts do look something like amplifiers

They have what looks like a volume control , input and output terminals .... and lots of numbers with 'W' after them ... So it should be a simple job to turn it into an amplifier ..lol ... I'm afraid things aren't that easy!
This package does indeed look a whole lot like some automotive amplifiers, and it probably could be an excellent "foundation" for an amplifier. The circuitry would be totally different but the package is certainly reasonable for an amplifier. The task would not be simple, but the package will provide a good start.

valdezdj

Joined Sep 3, 2019
Thanks very much OZ93 and Mr. Bill
this example you've shown is smack dab the truth of the matter.
Sure looked like one could do something with it that might work to power a couple speakers. Damn thing was heavy enough as if it had a bunch of copper coil in there.

I have very little knowledge or experience with the hardware details of such endeavors... hence the question.

I figured it would be a fun learning opportunity so I discovered this forum.

It was a learning opportunity all right... seems like there should have been a lot more sunshine than rain on the learning parade though.

Normally I welcome learning experiences, but the attack and insult really soaked it for me especially because I really thought this was an area for the novice. An area that inherently requires vulnerability to navigate.

I suppose it wasn't so much the interplanetary-ness (directly implying my question was "out there" a not so subtle personal attack) but the "we", effectively inviting others to come poke fun, and when an other did actually chime in with the pandering justify-the-negativity-to-avoid-facing-the-truth/responsibility-that-it-was-inappropriate-to-treat-a-novice-question-as-a-joke poke was a bit too gang bully for me to just let it go.

I suppose I expected more from a group of people whom I would normally respect and revere as this stuff seems to require a plethora of multiple talents to absorb much less actually physically making it work and then teach the stuff as if it was child's play.

Much respect to the more empathetic and kind individuals. Much more class. Class that one would expect from individuals representing in a context such as this very complex subject matter.

As for the decidedly dark ICON wielding persons whose negativity follows them like pig pen on a rainy day and unfortunate enough to represent the antithesis of the ideal in a learning environment, I offer a these quotes:

"Arrogance really comes from insecurity, and in the end our feeling that we are bigger than others is really the flip side of our feeling that we are smaller than others." -Desmond Tutu

"Don't be arrogant, because arrogance kills curiosity and passion."
-Mina Bissell

"Arrogant people are non-learners. They invest their energies in maintaining a cozy feeling of complacency, and complacency is the biggest single enemy to the process of continuously learning from experience. Arrogant people are exactly the sort of people who are destined to have one year's experience 20 times rather than 20 years' worth of experience." -Peter Honey

"The opposite of humility is arrogance--the belief that we are wiser or better than others. Arrogance promotes separation rather than community. It looms like a brick wall between us and those from whom we could learn." -John Marks Templeton

"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life becoming a better person." -Leo Tolstoy

"Never mistake arrogance for intellect." -DB Harrop

"The arrogance of age must submit to be taught by youth." -Edmond Burke

"The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance. " -Albert Einstein

"Arrogance is a weed that grows mostly on a dunghill." -Proverb

Status
Not open for further replies.