Can 555 Timer work for two minutes and then pause for ten seconds? How is that

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Many moons ago I attempted something similar with a 555, and the required large electrolytic caps will simply have too much leakage current to work consistently.
One trick to help with high capacitor leakage is to connect the capacitor from the charge resistor to V+, rather than to ground.
That way any leakage will simply reduce the charge time, not keep it from working, as it could with a high charge resistor value.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Has no one bothered to ask exactly what the expected end result of using this Timer is ?
There might be ~50 other ways of achieving the same end result.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Questions still remaining:
Accuracy? Can you tolerate variance in performance?
What are you driving (circuit wise - I don't care about your car)?
-accuracy Not that important even if the difference 3 or 4 seconds
- variance in timing 5% Acceptable
- The circuit is for a battery-powered ignition device, very similar to an electric cigarette lighter
-amperage will be 12v or 3.7 (I am first of all, and I will determine the type of current based on the advice I receive from the experts)
Has no one bothered to ask exactly what the expected end result of using this Timer is ?
There might be ~50 other ways of achieving the same end result.
Yes - um - sort of.

We still don't know what the amperage will be. All we know (vague as it is) "The circuit is for a battery-powered ignition device, very similar to an electric cigarette lighter." We're not even clear on a useful voltage. 12V or 3.7(V?)?
Well, the expert advice you receive from these experts (including NOT me) is for you to tell us exactly what you're trying to run.
What sort of ignition device?
What voltage?
How much current will it draw?
These answers will help us hone in on the best possible solution for your project.

For me the curios thing is having something active for 2 minutes then shut off for 10 seconds. If this is some sort of ignition device - I can't think of something that would require power for 2 minutes (ignition wise) then shut off for 10 seconds. There's a lot of mystery here. If we knew more we could better direct you toward a solution that will achieve the best possible results.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi.. Notice, I'm not an electronics professional, and the question might sound silly.
Can the ICTime like 555 Timer or ne555 be set in an oscillation or rotation manner, so that the working period is two minutes and the pause is ten seconds and continue like this?
yes
The most important thing is whether the setting is by code or by the method of Conduction or what?
witchcined of these mode i have to use:
"if I want it to work for two minutes and pause for 10 seconds ... and continue like this"
555 Timer as Astable Multivibrator
yes
555 Timer as Monostable Multivibrator
maybe..but more complicated
555 Timer as Bi-Stable Mode
ambiguous.