Camping in the rain

SlowCoder

Joined Mar 25, 2012
I love camping. Especially tent camping. We are on a trip with my son's scout pack. We arrived at the site last night and had to set up the tent in the rain, so we started out wet. It stopped raining for the rest of the evening, but damp as crap. We had a campfire set up and stayed in front of the fire to dry out, but the result was that we were warm-wet.

It's raining again this morning and I can feel the sticky coming on, as if I hadn't showered in a week. Yuk. And I'm holed up in our little cramped 4 man tent (yes, there are 4 of us)

Like I said, I love camping, but rain really puts a damper (pun) on it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'll tell my camping in the rain story. My wife was not a camper but learned to love it. We were camping in an old style canvas tent when it stared to rain. Rained all night and in the morning was still raining. We had just woke up and were laying there talking and listening to rain hit tent. All of the sudden she noticed the moisture beaded up on the tent roof. before I could say anything, she took her hand and wiped the roof. The instead of being dry, the water started to drip in fast. Broke the surface tension and a formally dry interior was wet. We still laugh about it today 40 years later.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I love camping. Especially tent camping. We are on a trip with my son's scout pack. We arrived at the site last night and had to set up the tent in the rain, so we started out wet. It stopped raining for the rest of the evening, but damp as crap. We had a campfire set up and stayed in front of the fire to dry out, but the result was that we were warm-wet.

It's raining again this morning and I can feel the sticky coming on, as if I hadn't showered in a week. Yuk. And I'm holed up in our little cramped 4 man tent (yes, there are 4 of us)

Like I said, I love camping, but rain really puts a damper (pun) on it.
I hate the sticky. Best cures are running and working up a sweat real quick. Or just go shower in the rain. Get in your undies and stand in the rain.
I'll do anything to get rid of the stickies. Including showering in a Burger King bathroom or climbing under a truck stop shower. (Back in the day when I lived on the road you could climb under the shower doors and not pay the $3-$5 for a shower. Now a days I think they time the water flow so it won't work.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I'll tell my camping in the rain story. My young wife was not a seasoned camper, with two young kids. I loved camping and had already done lots of sleeping in a tent. On this one trip it rained all night and into next morning. I believed it rain all night in the tent as well. She cried all night and hadn't slept.
When we returned home, she promptly searched out and bought a second-hand tent trailer.
We, the whole family, have been happy campers since. No more wet sleeping bags.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am debating bicycle touring through Yelllowstone. Bicycle touring rarely goes as planned and it's really difficult to make reservations well ahead of time. Well in Yellowstone, you need to make reservations a year ahead if you want a room.
Not to mention rooms are expensive in the park.

So I decieded to camp instead. They have a policy that hikers and cyclists are not turned away and no reservation is required. It would make life easier. But it is the weather that scares me. The good new is the campsites have restaurants nearby so at least you can hang there during the rain (I assume).

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
In my former job, I went to Arran.

We were 3 adults and 3 orphanages, in their last teens, with all kinds of diagnosis.

The plan was to sleep outside, under the blue sky. All went well for the others, but the mosquitoes on that island were horrible. Really small, so they came through even the smallest openings in the raincoat/sleepingbag arrangement I made.

We stayed on the island for 5 days, after that we stayed in a hostel in Glasgow for a few days, before we headed back home.

It's was a nice trip, but I'm not going back there... I don't like mosquitoes.