Camera components selection

Joeyda3rd

Joined May 11, 2022
@Joeyda3rd Have you made any progress on this?
Thanks for checking on the progress. I am still very much in the early prototyping stage as before as I am currently working on an RF visualization experiment that is showing promising results, but very code and maths heavy. This project is the next big one on my list, but I'm trying not to work on too many projects at once as I am prone to do.

This project is still very top of mind and I'm still having difficulty in finding the right PCB camera modules for use here.

The issues I am running into is selecting the correct the right camera modules to interface with the right uC or SBC , let me explain. I would like the resulting images from the prototype to have some quality to them, so I have set a minimum of 5MP to try not to become too cost prohibitive. Ideally, I'd love to have a high quality CMOS sensor with an adjustable focus C or CS mounted lens, but it sucks to want and if my proof of concept works well, I'll gladly iterate. I've set my budget to total $200 total for this project for now, but may need to increase that.

Now, if I go with the MIPI interface route as most PCB mounted modules within the range I'm looking at provide, I run into the issue there's no way to interface 2+ to any SBCs without a custom multiplexer and we go over budget. Solvable with a little more funding and possibly the easiest route for first prototype, but do we run into synchronization issues? If I go with SPI, UART, or I2C interfaces, the selections become very few but I haven't entertained this route much.

I could go the 3x Module > 3x uCs/(pico)SBCs > 1 x SBC as discussed earlier in this thread, but I felt like that was unnecessary unless I discover that extra processing power at the camera level really is necessary to enable the level of synchronization I am after.

Would love your feedback, thanks again!