cam switch and parker inverter pump speed control

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are the 3 phases presently fed through a disconnect in the panel the VFD is in?
If they are live when they enter the VFD panel which has its own separate disconnect then strictly speaking they should be Orange conductors to indicate that they are live when the panel disconnect is Off.
Where is the contactor located?
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
The supply for inverter is fed from l a mcb in a panel beside it in a roof space and the control panel is located beneath it on the ground floor

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
hey guys back again job was postponed but i was thinking i more or less have the input to the inverter and binary connections sorted but i was wondering could i put a realy in between them to get them to stop when the signals are coming back from the fill stations to make sure the inverter turns off. Right now that is controlled by the contactor so lets say when one fill station level sensor is activated it turns of the on/off signal to the contactor etc

thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should not be controlling the VFD with the contactor, you should be able to use a signal originating in the remote Stns, they would have to come back and be incorporated into the low level control of the VFD, this would be the recommended way IMO.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
You should not be controlling the VFD with the contactor, you should be able to use a signal originating in the remote Stns, they would have to come back and be incorporated into the low level control of the VFD, this would be the recommended way IMO.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The way I see it you have two control issues, one is the 3 position switch for the 3 preset speeds, the other is the on/off via local? and two remote stations? Do you want any station, local or remote, able to turn the VFD on/off as needed?
I guess you do not have a present wiring schematic of the system to post?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Whatever the call system uses on the remote stations, then you need to modify them and bring them back to the VFD using the low voltage control input.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
hi i have done this and i have removed the contactor and put in a 24vdc realy in series with the 24volt supply to the inverter so that when the first position position of the existing switch is turned, which simply runs the pump constantly the inverter comes on and off when the switch is turned off. the second position i havent tested yet which goes off to a fill station, but the third position is another fill station and is not coming on. the relay is energising when i push the call signal from the fill station but the inverter doesnt run???

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need to draw up a schematic, if you have not already done this.
Post it and we can see what is needed.
If the VFD is to be switched on from any station, I would expect something like all three OR'd across the start input as a minimum.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
wiring is as follows

terminal 6 on inverter going to NC contact block on first position of switch

then from the other side of the NC to the first NO contact

NC going back to terminal 9 on iverter

NO on first contact to NO on second contact

NO on second contact to NC on second contact

NC on second contact going back to terminal 8 on inverter

NO on second contact going back to terminal 7 on inverter

FYI i have piggybacked a NO and NC contact for the two positions of the switch as this is the way the exisiting 3 position call signal switch is configured

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you are replacing the contactor with a small control relay then use a contact on this for the run signal, all stations would pick up this relay as needed.
The 3 position sw would select the speeds.
See 12-6 of the installation manual.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Ok cool I think the other fill station the third one which wasn't coming on looks like it is wired into the no on the original 3 position switch do I simply need to tap off this and run it back into the inverter to control its on and off or do I bring it directly to the inverter?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How ever it was done before, I assumed it was also picking up the original Contactor now subbed for a control relay.
Hence the importance of Schematics!
Max.