cam switch and parker inverter pump speed control

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi guys
I want to install an inverter onto a pump and give it three different speeds with the use of a rotary cam switch. i have attached a link to the inverter that i will be using below but i just need some info on how to actually wire it as i cant get my head around the wiring of it. The pump at the moment is just run straight off a contactor and overload. Any schematic or detailed wiring verbal layout would be much appreciated.

link to inverter

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/inverter-drives/3989451/

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It states 8 preconfigured speeds settable by input, all you would need is to wire the cam switch to the appropriate inputs, in some cases they are either descrete inputs or a BCD/Binary combo.
The appropriate parameter has to be set to configure to digital inputs.
Do you have a link to the manual?
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. Do i need to run a seperate supply to the cam switch or will the inputs be enough to run it?? Also just to give a little extra info on the how the pump is controlled. At the moment it is just run through a contactor and overload as previously mentioned the pump can also be controlled through a 3 position switch on the front panel which in one position is constant on and the other two are set up to fill to two different fill stations through call signals on their respective control panels. These all work fine and i am just wondering will me setting up the intverter and cam switch interfere with their operation or is there something else i should do to make sure it keeps working the same?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So at present there is three station position switch?
You can set up the 3 speed to the VFD so it is independant, the VFD usually supplies power to the speed selector, typically 24vdc supply.
You may have to rewire the present 3 wire switch to VFD start inputs, you should not control a VFD, on/off etc other than through the low level inputs.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
thanks Max! yes at the moment there is 3 positons one to run the pump constant and the other 2 go to two different fill stations respectively. they just dictate the area of fill naturally and not the speed. so my adding of the inverter should not affect these?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The 3 position of switch should be incorporated into the low voltage start/run input circuit of the VFD and not any external contactor feeding the VFD.
Max.

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
hi guys forgot too add in that even though the contactor and overload relay controlls the start/ stop of the pump through the latching contacts in the contactor where do i now run the U V W connections from the inverter to to keep the controls the same? The supply in from the inverter is coming from a different panel fyi.

thanks

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi Dave
Thanks for getting back to me but com sorry I just can't seem to get my head around this circuit at all I have attached pictures of the inverter control i/o terminals and also the 3 position switch from the from and back which fills to three different areas. I have wired the control cable into the inverter as follows terminals 1,2 4 6 and 7 I just don't know how to tie them in to the 3 position switch on the machine. Apologies for my total dumbness on this also the switch from the back is 2 nc contacts piggybacking on two no contacts

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you need to use pre-set speeds you need to set par. P1 = 3 this allows up to 8 preset speeds from a 3 input binary switch terminals 8,9,10 and the 6 & 7 is start.
This way you do not use a pot, it should be possible to wire up the sequence you need but you may need another type switch .
Section 5-8 of the manual.
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you only need 3 speeds, you can use a 3 position switch and program/use speeds 1,2 & 4 this method will use 3 discrete lines.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As Dogydave mentioned the M1,M2M3 goes to the motor direct, no contactor, the only thing you can use the contactor for now with the VFD is for E-stop on the 3ph input to the VFD.
All the control will be performed by the low voltage signal input.
Max.