Calling all BSEE graduates...

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I guess you could be right. I know friends of mine that are much more involved in software who have done neural networks and A* search algorithms. But those can also be taught in a robotics class.
Graph search is another good example.

On the other hand those guys have done database managment and web infrastructure which I don't deem crucial for robotics.
There certainly is overlap as well as superfluous information taught in computer science, with respect to robotics, but to say that computer science techniques aren't necessary would be an overstatement.

I'd argue neural networks are a computer science topic, but EE has discovered that there are many applications for it, particularly in robotics, so it is taught in some courses.

tip

Joined Apr 20, 2013
Well, got an A in my circuits I class. Also got my schedule for Fall quarter:

Electric Circuits II
Electric Circuits II Lab
Matlab Programming
Multivariable Calculus (wasn't able to get into this class at CC)
Engineering Economics

I just graduated from University with BSEE. My questions are, what courses did you take in community college? I transferred from community college too. The biggest thing community college gave me is a strong foundation in basic math and calculus.

One of the first courses you will be taking in Uni is differential equations. Don't delay or skip that course. That is an extremely important course. Almost all your other courses depend on it. Pay close attention to Laplace transform and Fourier analysis in that course.

Review some programming skills. Get yourself a student version of Matlab and learn how to use it. Write some basic matlab programs. Also go learn C. Best way to learn C is to mess around with micro-controllers like arduino and PIC. They will not stress the importance of micro-controllers and programming in the EE department, but once you get to the workplace you will be programming micro-controllers a lot.
All good points. I've already taken diff eq, so I'll probably review a bunch of it over the summer. I have a student version of Matlab, probably should start messing with it before Fall. I have never messed with micro-controllers so I guess I will be looking into that, as well!

I second that. All my best grades came from classes where I sat in the front row.
I have tried this before, but haven't really seen a difference. I am really shy so sitting in the very back has always been my thing. Hasn't ever hurt my grades but I will try sitting in the front again at the university. I am excited because we are in a 'cohort' type group in the EE department. Meaning, there's about 20 of us who will go through the main courses together and graduate at the same time. Its hard to make buddies at the junior college because we have new classmates each quarter.

The university will challenge you more than the junior college did. You might take a couple semesters to adapt. My grades plummetted when I got to the U. After a couple semesters, they recovered.
That's what I'm nervous about. To be honest, I've felt pretty challenged at the junior college level. Not so much with the subject difficulty (which was hard, don't get me wrong), but mostly with the work load and half-assed professors. Its the mentality of "sink or swim" and "these are weed-out classes, get used to it" that I was getting extremely tired of.